Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to draw power from?

Mindcrime13 Guest

where to draw power from?

what is the best place to draw power to a HHO system, i have heard that the windshield wipers, some directly to battery.

i think its best, a place that only get power when the car is on, would the ALT. output be good? what other source do you guys suggests?

thanks!

Mindcrime13,
    I just finished putting a controller / gen in.

I think the best way is to run a correctly fused heavy wire (12 ga for 20 amps, etc.) from the battery to a relay contact. Then another heavy wire from the normally open contacts to the HHO gen. Then connect a correctly fused wire from the coil of the relay to the fuel pump relay.

That way, you are safe because the HHO gen only runs when the fuel pump is running. Also, you are not stressing the fuel pump circuit.

Just for information, the heavy alternator wire connects to the battery.

Mindcrime13 Guest
    i see, so its if like the fuel pump was a remote or an on off switch?

magcshroom Guest
    The fuel pump acts as an on and off switch which will only operate when the car is running. You don't draw any current really from the fuel pump. Some alternatives to a fuel pump are your ignition and the windshield wiper circuit.

here's a diagram
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Your alternator is directly connected to the battery. If you connect to it andit is not switched your battery will go dead because your hho cell will not shut off when you turn off te key. The windshield wiper lead will not carry enoug amps to rus the ncell nor will the fuel pump wire. They both are a great choice to use to energize a relay. Wire the cell directly to the battery with an inline relay capable of handling the amp draw of your cell and energize the relay with any wire activated only with the key in the on position.

bigapple Guest
    Open up for fuse box under the hood and get a circuit tester with a light. Find out which fuses (or relays) light up your tester only when the ignition is turned. Run a wire from this fuse (just push the fuse down on some of the wire; you won't need heavy wiring and strong voltage to activate a relay), through a switch, to the relay that operates your generator. Since your already connected to a fuse, adding another one wouldn't make a difference since it's already protected. I also spliced the wire that activates the relay and ran it to an independent switch that i can turn on for testing.

If you need a schematic let me know and I'll draw up a shitty one in Paint or something. Good luck

Smith03Jetta Guest
    If you don't want to go the relay route, you can probe around your fuse box for an unused fuse slot that only has power when the ignition is turned on. Make for sure that your voltmeter registers zero when the key is out of the ignition and it bumps up to 12 when the ignition is turned on with the engine off.

Run a 14 or 12 gauge wire from this fuse slot to an in-dash switch so you can override the power at will. This is for times when you want the ignition turned on but you don't want the HHO running.

Then run another 14 or 12 gauge wire from that in-dash switch directly to the positive terminal of your HHO Generator. Purchase a battery ground cable from an auto parts store and ground the negative post of your HHO generator to the frame or to the negative post of the car's battery.

With this setup you don't have to worry about exploding your vehicle. If you need to turn the accessories on but don't want to crank your engine you can just flip the in-dash switch off to keep your Gen from putting out HHO gas. I do this occasionally when I'm running On Board Diagnostics or changing settings in my car's ECU.

Version 2:

Install an Ammeter and a fuse box between the in-dash switch and the Generator as shown in my Jetta thread.

I really think everyone should use a VOES(Vacuum Operated Electrical Switch)
    It will keep you from blowing the intake off your engine if you sit too long with the ignition on (listening to the radio) without the engine running.

you can get a VOES on ebay for about $30.
    its a motorcycle part.
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

I did mine like the diagram i posted earlier, and so i could turn it off from inside the car, and the switch only cost $3, relay $10, wire $20 (went with silicon 12 gauge), and works good. And if u turn it to accessory it does not turn it on, just in the run position.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.