Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can stainless be de-magnetized?

Exclamation Can stainless be de-magnetized?

I heard that this can be done. I hear it happens in cheap stainless. Any thoughts?

Smith03Jetta Guest
    The higher quality of stainless that you have the less magnetic it is.

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    I have some huge plates of ss that I want to cut up and use for a generator but I have put a magnet to them and you can feel a slight pull from the magnet. I was wondering if it is ok to use them?

i have read for the cheaper stainless, its better to have all the same , so here a pic of how to.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

[QUOTE=mytoyotasucks;14646]i have read for the cheaper stainless, its better to have all the same , so here a pic of how to.[/QUOTEThat's interesting. Answer me this. So magnetism is a less grade of SS and the metal rusting is what could cause the water to look black. Is this killing the HHO production?

As I understand it, it's not that the lower grade of ss has magnetism in it, it's just that there is more carbon present making it more magnetic like regular steel. The higher grade ss has little or no carbon, thus not attracted by a magnet. So there is really no demagnetising to do on ss.

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    i have read for the cheaper stainless, its better to have all the same , so here a pic of how to.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
    That's interesting. Answer me this. So magnetism is a less grade of SS and the metal rusting is what could cause the water to look black. Is this killing the HHO production?
    actually the reason there is black stuff on the ss is because it was not cleaned properly to start with.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    actually the reason there is black stuff on the ss is because it was not cleaned properly to start with.
    I cleaned my plates after I sanded them and wore gloves during assembly. I ran my electrolite thru my generator 4 times and siphoned it off. Then I had a leak and had to do a repair that's when I noticed this coffee looking water...is right.

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
    I cleaned my plates after I sanded them and wore gloves during assembly. I ran my electrolyte Through my generator 4 times and siphoned it off. Then I had a leak and had to do a repair that's when I noticed this coffee looking water...is right.
    that is weird that u still had discolored water still, were the plates corroded?
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Do anybody have a recommended cleaing process to help prevent contamination of electrolyte solutions?