Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can stainless be de-magnetized?

Smith03Jetta Guest
    GoJo Hand Cleaner with Pumice... Clean your hands first, then scrub the plates with your hands and GoJo. Rinse off the plates really good under tap water. Do a final rinse with deionized water or Distilled water. Let them dry in the sun. Wash your hands in GoJo again prior to touching the dry metal plates or before assembly.

That will definitely solve your problem IF YOU ARE USING THE RIGHT KIND OF STEEL TO START WITH. Use no less than 316L stainless. The Magnetism is not your problem, it is just a symptom. It's just a clue that there is more Iron in the steel and less of the good corrosion proof metals.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith03Jetta View Post
    GoJo Hand Cleaner with Pumice... Clean your hands first, then scrub the plates with your hands and GoJo. Rinse off the plates really good under tap water. Do a final rinse with deionized water or Distilled water. Let them dry in the sun. Wash your hands in GoJo again prior to touching the dry metal plates or before assembly.

That will definitely solve your problem IF YOU ARE USING THE RIGHT KIND OF STEEL TO START WITH. Use no less than 316L stainless. The Magnetism is not your problem, it is just a symptom. It's just a clue that there is more Iron in the steel and less of the good corrosion proof metals.
    Sir , so 304SS or 305ss is a cheap grade off SS. And this is the reason for the corrossion? An\d also yes at the time I used GOJO orange but without the pumice.

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
    Sir , so 304SS or 305ss is a cheap grade off SS. And this is the reason for the corrossion? An\d also yes at the time I used GOJO orange but without the pumice.
    Gojo with or without pumnice will still leave a residual film on your plates no matter how many times you rinse in distilled water.A better method is after sanding the plates(with the use of rubber gloves) soak them in a high concentration of koh or naoh for a few days.This will remove impurities present in most lower grade of ss.After soaking rinse well with distilled water several times and always use rubber gloves,this includes assembly of the cell.Even after washing your hands well with any type hand cleaner,the oils in your skin are still present and constantly migrating to the surface of your skin,so always wear rubber gloves when handling plates.

CLR works reallty good also.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    CLR works reallty good also.
    Havn't used clr yet,does it have any type acids in it?I know it's used for removing rust and hard water stains.

i use 30% CLR and 70% water, works good for me, no more residue on plates.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    i use 30% CLR and 70% water, works good for me, no more residue on plates.
    after sanding?
    1995 Chevy Camaro
    17 MPG base city/highway
    Listening to Van Halen

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalen View Post
    after sanding?
    ya after sanding.

let soak for a few hours and move them around every so often.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

The only real lasting thing that causes the discolored water and the build up on the plates is low grade stainless. I have experimented with most grades starting with the lowest. The best results are with 316L. Make sure the 316 is L grade. L stands for low carbon and resists corrosion. Corrosion is what causes the brown water and build up on your plates. Yes it is slightly more expensive but will stand the test of time. What costs more Replacing your electrodes or starting with the correct grade the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    The only real lasting thing that causes the discolored water and the build up on the plates is low grade stainless. I have experimented with most grades starting with the lowest. The best results are with 316L. Make sure the 316 is L grade. L stands for low carbon and resists corrosion. Corrosion is what causes the brown water and build up on your plates. Yes it is slightly more expensive but will stand the test of time. What costs more Replacing your electrodes or starting with the correct grade the first time.
    Of course the corect grade of stainless but, in the mean-time I re-built my generator from a seller at ebay. The thing tought me alot and also I modified the water4gas thing with 305SS a neighbor gave me. I thought that was cool and works great. Not to bad on the corrosion. They are 1" plates. If I'm not mistaken grades of SS is chromium amounts.