Thread: The connection from wires to plates

Mindcrime13 Guest

The connection from wires to plates

hello

i have read that anything that is not SS, water or electrolyte in the soup of the generator will create a weird gunk,

the cables i have are cooper, what can i do to not make them touch the water and yet conducting the charge to the plate?

what do you guys do for this situation?

thanks!

Atm0spher Guest
    RTV sealant. by dow corning not sure of the spelling on that. it works great up to 375*f and hasn't changed at all in a strong lye bath.

donnylynn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindcrime13 View Post
    hello

i have read that anything that is not SS, water or electrolyte in the soup of the generator will create a weird gunk,

the cables i have are cooper, what can i do to not make them touch the water and yet conducting the charge to the plate?

what do you guys do for this situation?

thanks!
    I dont use any copper inside my generator. I formed a strip of steel to make a mounting bracket that conducts the current to the plates. Look at the pix here and you will see what I did.
    http://home.mchsi.com/~donny.lewis/w...tos.html-.html

The holes in the top of the plates in the first pix are bolted to the brackets attached to the cap in the third pix.

Heat shrink tubing worked very well for my open bath designs. NAPA carries it.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

I take appart a stainless steel hose clamp and pop rivit it to the plate. I drill a hole in the other end and attach it to a bolt that goes through the housing

Mindcrime13 Guest
    great ideas, im leaning more to the steanless steel traps, im afraid some rtv might com off and ruin everything, is the hose clamps good quality SS?

and donnylyn where did you got the SS straps, by what name shoul i look for them?

thanks guys!

donnylynn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindcrime13 View Post
    great ideas, im leaning more to the steanless steel traps, im afraid some rtv might com off and ruin everything, is the hose clamps good quality SS?

and donnylyn where did you got the SS straps, by what name shoul i look for them?

thanks guys!
    I had a friend cut out my plates for me from SS sheet using a metal shear. There was an area left over that was not big enough for a plate so I had him shear it into 0.5" wide strips. Used a vise, hammer and drill to form the mounting brackets from the strips.

if you go to home depot you can buy the large stainless steel hose clamps for a couple bucks. the ones that fit around a 4 inch pipe. take it appart and you got a great strap. pick up some stainless steel rivits while your there. keeping everything stainless will prevent problems down the road. dis-similar metals will always corode after awhile with electrical current .