Thread: Too many sensors to fool?

precaster1@msn.com Guest

Too many sensors to fool?

I MAP enhanced my 2000 Malibu- it seemed to help but now it doesn't affect the idle anymore. Is it possible that another sensor took over the air fuel ratio monitoring.

Cadillac Guest
    What do you mean by effect the idle?

precaster1@msn.com Guest
    Good question, I knew it was working when i installed it cuz when i turned the knob thru the range it would change the idle speed and smoothness like it is supposed to. But now it doesn't and i wonder if the o2 or maf sensor took over, don't they all exist to maintain the air/fuel ratio?

Cadillac Guest
    I guess I am not really sure. The only thing I have ever heard for a reason as to why both the MAF and MAP sensors are used together was in reference to the GM 3.8L engines. The MAP sensor is used to check for proper operation of the EGR system. Never found a complete answer as to whether it was a recheck of the MAF as well.

Have you tried just doing the MAF yet?

I guess you might have to experiment around with it unless you can find someone else that has actually messed with your car.

Now I have set off codes related to the IAC (idle air control) valve before when messing with my MAF. I kind of thought at least that in my case the computer could be seeing a difference in air coming in and the voltage required to stabilize the idle. Not a hundred percent sure though. I guess I should add that there was signifigenta distortion in voltage before I ever got this code.

hygear Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by precaster1@msn.com View Post
    I MAP enhanced my 2000 Malibu- it seemed to help but now it doesn't affect the idle anymore. Is it possible that another sensor took over the air fuel ratio monitoring.

Did you try clearing the ecm.Possible open loop,mine did the same thing with no cel showing.

precaster1@msn.com Guest
    I tried the maf, didn't work and it made the car shift really hard. How do you reset the comp., just unhooking the battery?

Riddler250 Guest
    unhook the battery, positive and ground. leave it unhooked for a few (seconds,minutes?) hook it back up, should reset the sysstem

HHO King Guest
    To reset the adaptive strategy it is always a good idea to turn the ignition on with the negative cable removed and also hold your foot on the brake.

Some vehicles especially Dodge & GM are hard to clear just by removing the cables.

fisher Guest
    Sounds like your new enhancer went bad. It was working, now it isn't.

To be sure, take it off, reset the computer, drive a day or two. Reinstall, see if there is a reoccurance of the same symptoms.