Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGR valve and air temp sensor

redneckgearhead34 Guest

EGR valve and air temp sensor

I got a chance to read the codes my truck is throwing today. I need some help on deciding what to do.

The first code is code 32. This code says the EGR valve is not funtioning. Do i need to replace it? If I dont what affects will it have on my engine perfomance(mpg etc.). BTW a new EGR valve is $90

The second code is code 41. This says my air tempurature sensor is not working. Should I replace it? Also what effects is it having on the performace of my motor. BTW a new air tempurature sensor is $65.

Just so you know my truck is a 1994 Nissan Pickup 2.4L I-4 2wd

Are you sure the wires going to the air temp sensor are hooked up? Most of the time the wires are unhooked or broken off the temp sensor.

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Well when I bought it the check engine light was on(thatsa why I got it fro a deal), it was unplugged and I think a vacuum line was disconnected too. I hooked up both of them and reset the computer. Check engine light is still on and still throws the same codes.

Now that I think about it I never got a chance to look at the underside to see if any wire were broken. I may check it when I get home.

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckgearhead34 View Post
    Well when I bought it the check engine light was on(thatsa why I got it fro a deal), it was unplugged and I think a vacuum line was disconnected too. I hooked up both of them and reset the computer. Check engine light is still on and still throws the same codes.

Now that I think about it I never got a chance to look at the underside to see if any wire were broken. I may check it when I get home.
    You have INTERMITTENT CODES and HARDFAULT CODES. Which are yours?

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    You have INTERMITTENT CODES and HARDFAULT CODES. Which are yours?
    Idk How can I tell?

Scooterdog Guest
    Idk How can I tell?
    Get educated would be a good start.

Love your signature by the way: 1994 Nissan Hardbody 2.4L (start mpg 22) so far no improvement with water4gas cell

Riddler250 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    Get educated would be a good start.

Love your signature by the way: 1994 Nissan Hardbody 2.4L (start mpg 22) so far no improvement with water4gas cell

Why do you have to be rude? he was asking a legitimate question, it deserves a respectful answer, if you arent here to be a productive member, then why dont you leave

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler250 View Post
    Why do you have to be rude? he was asking a legitimate question, it deserves a respectful answer, if you arent here to be a productive member, then why dont you leave
    Because he is being a little snot nosed brat in my post. Why would I want to help mister "I have 21 masters degree's, but can't answer a simple question." help him?

Riddler250 Guest
    are you speaking of the "does hho work" thread? i dont think he ever got in on that

bigapple Guest
    I got a chance to read the codes my truck is throwing today. I need some help on deciding what to do.

The first code is code 32. This code says the EGR valve is not funtioning. Do i need to replace it? If I dont what affects will it have on my engine perfomance(mpg etc.). BTW a new EGR valve is $90

The second code is code 41. This says my air tempurature sensor is not working. Should I replace it? Also what effects is it having on the performace of my motor. BTW a new air tempurature sensor is $65.

Just so you know my truck is a 1994 Nissan Pickup 2.4L I-4 2wd
    well the EGR code isn't necessarily the actual piece being broken, but it could be. I replaced one in my brother's F150 and the light is still on, which leads me to believe that the spot where the EGR connects on the intake manifold is clogged. I'd run some Sea Foam through your gas tank and your intake manifold, probably 2 or 3 times.

Hold the can under the hood with a tube from the PCV vacuum port to the inside of the bottle, and have someone start the car. It'll sputter and die (won't take the entire bottle either). Let the car sit for about 30 mins and let the Sea Foam do its work. The car will take a second to turn over, but keep the key turned and tap the gas to make it turn over. Your car will puff out white smoke for about 10 minutes but after that your system is fairly clean and it may help. It's definitely not a magic fix, but its much cheaper than having someone work on it first. Good luck.