Thread: Generator with built in cooler!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    fisher Guest

Generator with built in cooler!?

I got interested in HHO generation a couple of months ago after meeting a guy that is using HHO in his vehicle. I have done a lot of research and some testing in the garage. My Honda Accord doesn't have much room to add a system so I have devised a couple of generators that will fit into inch and a quarter pipe (which will fit in front of my radiator. Both generate pretty well. ( I will have LMP after a bit more testing, to decide which of the two designs I am going to use.) But both create a lot heat.

My thoughts were to series my generators into two 1 1/4 pipes and use Tee's to tie those pipes together so that both share the same electrolite. Between the two pipes, I am thinking of adding a third pipe made of copper. So I will have two horizontal pipes, one at top, one at bottom, with three vertical pipes, the two outside ones being PVC and containing generators, and a copper pipe in the middle. My thinking is that the bubbles rising (and heat rising) in the two generators will create a flow of water that cycles up through the generator, over to the copper pipe and down through it, then back over to the generator to go around again. My hopes are that the air flow across the copper will sink heat from the generator. I may even solder some heat sinking vents onto the copper pipe to better remove heat if I need to.

I have lurked at this site for a couple of weeks now and came to respect your knowledge and opinions, so hoping that I explained this well enough for you to get a mental picture... Do you think it will work, do you think it will cool my generator somewhat ( I want the generator to run warm, but it was getting too hot.) And finally, do you think the KOH will eat up the copper?

TBill Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher View Post
    And finally, do you think the KOH will eat up the copper?
    .......Yes

fisher Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TBill View Post
    .......Yes
    Well, fooey!!!

back to the drawing board.

Why not use plastic or CPVC pipe instead?
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

fisher Guest
    Because I want something that will transfer the heat out of my generator into the airstream coming into the front of the car. Copper transfers heat really well. PVC, not so much.

magcshroom Guest
    I believe high grade aluminum is resistant to KOH.