Thread: How much is too much?

Westcoastrocks Guest

How much is too much?

I did a search and could not find a answer but i am sure its in here somewhere.

I was wondering what is a good way to know how much amps can you pull off your battery before you run the risk of ruining your alternator?

I have a 08 Jeep wrangler I don't know the amp's the alternator puts out. I tried searching for it online with no luck. a few third party replacements were around 100-120Amp alternators. Thanks

To be honest, I really don't know the answer, but I can't toss you a few suggestions. First of all, I've not heard of anyone frying their alternator yet. I'm sure it's possible, but I've not seen it yet. My personal recommendation would be to stay below 30 amps if you can. It also depends on if you have any extras on your vehicle like aux lighting, upgraded sound systems, rocket launchers, etc.

How many amps are you wanting to run?
    Give a man a match, and he’ll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L SII S/C'd
    15%-20% MPG increase at 1.5 Amps
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
    No gains.

One thing you can do is to attach a voltmeter across your positive and negative battery terminals and take note of the voltage with the engine running, then when you increase your load if the voltage starts to drop you are overtaxing your alternator.

This is crude and by no means a replacement for the proper data, but should at least serve as a warning.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoastrocks View Post
    I did a search and could not find a answer but i am sure its in here somewhere.

I was wondering what is a good way to know how much amps can you pull off your battery before you run the risk of ruining your alternator?

I have a 08 Jeep wrangler I don't know the amp's the alternator puts out. I tried searching for it online with no luck. a few third party replacements were around 100-120Amp alternators. Thanks

Found this on another HHO forum. Hope that helps.

Amps x Volts = Watts
    Watts / 745.7 (one HP) = Electrical HP Produced by the Alternator
    HP x 15% Efficiency Loss = HP Loss
    HP + HP Loss = Total HP Used

Example:
    57A x 14.9V = 849.3 Watts
    849.3 Watts / 745.7 = 1.14 HP
    1.14 HP x 15% = 0.17 HP
    1.14 + 0.17 = 1.31 HP Total

Westcoastrocks Guest
    That seems to work if I want to know how much HP I will be loosing. Thanks for the replies. I am asking this cause I plan on running 3 cells with their own independent power. So each one would probably take 15-20 amps each so that's a possible 45-60 amps total. I guess I can get it working and try the Crude method that actually might give me a close enough idea. I wish there was a easy way to calculate it out.

alt amps

I went through alot of things to find out you dont need more amps to get more HHO. I DO NOT use any electrolytes! Straight tap, my TUBES are 1.5 millimeters apart and run thru a relay but directly from my alternator! It takes a couple of days or weeks(depends on your use) for the tubes to condition but when they do, you get great production.
    By the way i pull roughly 4-7 amps.