Thread: easiest metal to chrome plate

easiest metal to chrome plate

Any chrome platers out there? I need to chrome plate 10 - 8" x 8 1/4" plates. Any ideas what metal is the easiest to electroplate Thanks

precaster1@msn.com Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltazar View Post
    Any chrome platers out there? I need to chrome plate 10 - 8" x 8 1/4" plates. Any ideas what metal is the easiest to electroplate Thanks
    Is this for cell plates? Interesting

Cadillac Guest
    Probably nickel. I don't think it would have very good transfer in terms of electricity though. It sure does look nice. When you catch it the right way you can see this blue like hue underneath it.

I should add I know next to nothing about chrome plating. I have just seen it done a lot. Kind of made me think it would be the easiest.

If you want to use chrome plated metal in your generator use the best possible conductor like copper. I am not sure but I think you cane chrome plate about anything.

Copper and brass seem to be the easiest to plate. Only bad issue is, if you scratch the chrome off it all disappears.

I'd like to put in my two cents...Remember all the chrome bumpers on cars? Those were all 30 carbon steel. That worked great as far as chroming. But remember also that using dis-simular metals on an hho generator will work only for a short period of time till it corrodes dramatically. Just heading for faliure of your generator. Leaks, heat and gunk majorly... Also if you get a nick or a scratch water alone will eat-up your plate. You know that SS when scuffed and sanded produces more hho than a smooth surface. Dude this sounds great what you want to do espicially in a clear generator. Also I'm not busting your bubble. Just my thoughts according to all my re-search.

The use of chrome plated whatever is not for looks, it's because I will be using graphite as the anode and the chrome for the cathode in a dry cell. Voltages will be higher than 12.

jtmarten Guest
    Nickel. Or nickel plated metals.

jtmarten Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
    I'd like to put in my two cents...Remember all the chrome bumpers on cars? Those were all 30 carbon steel. That worked great as far as chroming. .
    Most chromed steel auto parts are plated with an electroless or acid copper, then semi-bright or bright nickel (0.2-0.5mils), then decorative chrome (< 0.2mils). Most platers advertise a 5-7 step plating process for chroming bumpers, etc. Their step count usually includes ancillary alkaline cleaners and acid deoxidizing baths.