Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bouncing an idea off your collective minds

Haywire Haywood Guest

Bouncing an idea off your collective minds

I'm thinking about building a dry cell like a tero, but instead of the +nnnnnn- setup that's called out in the Tero doc, I thought about stacking it like separate +-+ cells with a solid sheet of gasket dividing each "cell" from the next. There would be a small alternating 1/8" hole connecting all the cells for electrolyte level to be equal and a 1/4" hole at the top for HHO to exit at one point.

Do you think there would be any advantage to this setup over a straight tero or am I trying to reinvent the wheel?

Ian

Edit.. has anyone used cork gasket like you buy at the auto parts store for these?

so basically a series cell instead of using neutrals.
    probably marginally better.
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

You may have a huge heat problem especially with the nenative lead. 2 + plates and 1 - plate will cause the negative lead to work twice as hard

If it's a stainless steel setup why not set it up like this -++--++--++-

javierf Guest
    Haywire,

My tero lookalike cell is something very similar to what you mentioned. So far, the testing I have done has been very good. My electrolyzer consists o 5 separate compartments, all connected with a couple of small holes for sharing electrolyzer and hho.

IMO, there are several advantages in doing it that way. First, the voltage on each of the compartments is about 2.6V. Second, the amperage is very easily controlled with the KOH concentration. I still haven't opened a thread on it because I want to test for heat and gas generation first. For now, it seems like it'll produce about 1LPM, but with not too much heat, which is a big problem with a straight tero cell at 25A-35A.

MMW is important, but I think people in general worry too much about getting as many LPMs as possible, overlooking the heat problem. IMO, also, a high MMW doesn't necessarily mean it's a good cell design for our purposes.

I'll post results as soon as I get the chance to continue my testing, but I suggest you go ahead with what you mentioned. Like I said, my personal results have been very good.

Haywire Haywood Guest
    Couple Qs...how large are your plates and what are you using for gasket material?

Ian

javierf Guest
    The acrylic, or cell itself, is 4"x8". The plates' "exposed" area is 2.5"x6.5". For gasket material I'm using soft PVC, and KOH for the electrolyte.

Haywire Haywood Guest
    Ok, thanks. What I'm slowly drawing up on the cad program (program learning curve) is a 6x6 plate with a 4.5x4.5 working area. I'm thinking of upping it to 6x8. I'd like to see 1.5-2 lpm but what I'd like and what actually happens may be two totally seperate things. When I get finished I'll get CO2CUTTER to give me a quote on the plates.

Ian

fisher Guest
    As I understand your post, you have (where I stands for a insulator) +-I+-I+-I which will generate a ton, but still get really, really hot. I have an idea much the same, and want to run it by everyone, but don't want to hijack your thread so will begin my own for my idea. A cell wired +- does a lot of generation, but adds a lot of heat. One other thought, I fear that using cork gaskets will not only electrically isolate your cells, but will thermally insulate them as well, so that heat will be unable to escape.

Haywire Haywood Guest
    Each cell will be a +-+ and there will be 6 cells in series for just over 2v per cell. I+-+I+-+I+-+I+-+I+-+I+-+I The "bread" for the sandwich will be 3/8" polypropylene butcher board. I ran a cell like this in an open bath for a few hours without much heat at all, BUT, it was only 8amps and not enclosed. We shall see. I looked at the 40 mil shower pan liner today, but they wanted $30 for the sheet and it was 20 times more than I needed. I'd like something thicker too, in the neighborhood of 1/16, for the spacer. I'm still cooking this idea, the cost of the plates might be the project killer before it ever gets built.

Ian

Edit: In regards to the amount of water it contains, I want to set it up with 2 hoses and use the 1st bubbler as a reservoir... gas out the upper hose and electrolyte in the lower. Might get a little circulation out of the deal.