Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst mileage with hho '92 240sx 2.4L

tienquang2 Guest

Worst mileage with hho '92 240sx 2.4L

Hi folks,

I couldn't resist going up here asking for help. Please share if you have or have solved the same experience.

1992 240sx 2.4L with 2 cells injected after the air cleaner. In fact, it was inject using a T at the fuel vapor return line. originally, the fuel vapor return line is a 5/16" hose which get connected into the large plastic vaccumm pipe. So now I put a T there to inject the HHO.

Firstly, I wonder if that is the best place for it.
    Secondly, I got 26mpg, a 25% increase on the first 60 miles try (used to be be 20mpg, without HHO).

NOW, I am getting very bad mileage, only 16mpg.

I have a MAF enhancer installed but not using it at test, because it is sluggish at every starts.

Can someone give me an idea of what I am doing wrong? I know there has to be something wrong and I am missing something here.

Thanks,

sound like u have the MAF enhancer set tooo lean, richen up a little, and try again, should run better.

as for getting better mpg at first, was until the O2 sensor seen to much O2 and adjusted fuel to compansate.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Quote Originally Posted by tienquang2 View Post
    Hi folks,

I couldn't resist going up here asking for help. Please share if you have or have solved the same experience.

1992 240sx 2.4L with 2 cells injected after the air cleaner. In fact, it was inject using a T at the fuel vapor return line. originally, the fuel vapor return line is a 5/16" hose which get connected into the large plastic vaccumm pipe. So now I put a T there to inject the HHO.

Firstly, I wonder if that is the best place for it.
    Secondly, I got 26mpg, a 25% increase on the first 60 miles try (used to be be 20mpg, without HHO).

NOW, I am getting very bad mileage, only 16mpg.

I have a MAF enhancer installed but not using it at test, because it is sluggish at every starts.

Can someone give me an idea of what I am doing wrong? I know there has to be something wrong and I am missing something here.

Thanks,
    Is the maf enhancer and hho the only two things you've done so far?

tienquang2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hg2 View Post
    Is the maf enhancer and hho the only two things you've done so far?
    Yes, I have the MAF enhancer and HHO installed. I also have the O2 extender installed, luckily I only need 1.

However, I am just running the HHO thru the air intake. As for as the MAF enhancer is concern, I have it off due to it making the car sluggish.

Yes, I have the MAF enhancer and HHO installed. I also have the O2 extender installed, luckily I only need 1.

However, I am just running the HHO thru the air intake. As for as the MAF enhancer is concern, I have it off due to it making the car sluggish.
    One thing to remember when tuning for hho,is that most adjustments should be made very slowly one small step at a time.If not the ecm will catch on in no time to what your doing.Some adjustments take up to 2 weeks with some ecms before you can complete fine tuning.If a check engine comes on that means you went too fast.If adjustments are done slowly the ecm will most likely dismiss it as no more that going to a higher alttitude or a different temperature climate.It will catch on to radical changes made and most likely that's the poor performance you experienced using the enhancer.
    One thing I have noticed that works is when you do get caught,reset the codes and start fresh from scratch.So have patience when starting your tune program and it could save you time in doing so.

good luck

tienquang2 Guest
    One thing to remember when tuning for hho,is that most adjustments should be made very slowly one small step at a time.If not the ecm will catch on in no time to what your doing.Some adjustments take up to 2 weeks with some ecms before you can complete fine tuning.If a check engine comes on that means you went too fast.If adjustments are done slowly the ecm will most likely dismiss it as no more that going to a higher alttitude or a different temperature climate.It will catch on to radical changes made and most likely that's the poor performance you experienced using the enhancer.
    One thing I have noticed that works is when you do get caught,reset the codes and start fresh from scratch.So have patience when starting your tune program and it could save you time in doing so.

good luck
    Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
    OK... So, now I have reset my ECU by unplugging the neg side of the battery for about an hour.

What is it that I should do?
    1. I have reduced my HHO cells to just enough amount of hydrogen as not to overload my alternator right?
    2. Increase my MAF enhancer by turning it to lean JUST A BIT as to decrease the gas intake right?
    3. Do I turn on my HHO cells right after I start the engine cold in the morning, or wait until the engine is warm before doing so?

Can you expand on your experiences and procedures on turning the HHO?

Thanks...

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
    OK... So, now I have reset my ECU by unplugging the neg side of the battery for about an hour.

What is it that I should do?
    1. I have reduced my HHO cells to just enough amount of hydrogen as not to overload my alternator right?
    2. Increase my MAF enhancer by turning it to lean JUST A BIT as to decrease the gas intake right?
    3. Do I turn on my HHO cells right after I start the engine cold in the morning, or wait until the engine is warm before doing so?

Can you expand on your experiences and procedures on turning the HHO?

Thanks...

Here's a tuning doc to read that explains most of how I tune for hho

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

Read this over then if you have any questions afterwards I try to answer them the best I can.
    one last thing to add is it doesn't take an hour for codes to reset,just disconnect the pos. lead at the battery(and some people say to touch it to the neg. don't know if that helps I don't do it)and then reconnect,and that usually clears most codes that you may set when trying to tune.

I bought and installed two different units. And so far my best result is an extender for the O2 sensor. I really opened a can of worms when I installed my control box. It was for both the O2 and MAF or MAP controller. I have a 03 blazer 4.3. Anyhow it loaded up with carbon so badf I had to scrub my garage floor and the frame of the garage door. It was unreal how much it shot out. I'm sure you know what i ended up doing after that. I did'nt throw it away though. What a bummer. I'm sure if I was more electronically inclined this wouldn't of happened. Otherwise I'm very happy so far the way it is.

tienquang2 Guest
    Here's a tuning doc to read that explains most of how I tune for hho

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

Read this over then if you have any questions afterwards I try to answer them the best I can.
    one last thing to add is it doesn't take an hour for codes to reset,just disconnect the pos. lead at the battery(and some people say to touch it to the neg. don't know if that helps I don't do it)and then reconnect,and that usually clears most codes that you may set when trying to tune.
    Thanks hg2, I am reading that right now. Hopefully this will clear things up.

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
    I bought and installed two different units. And so far my best result is an extender for the O2 sensor. I really opened a can of worms when I installed my control box. It was for both the O2 and MAF or MAP controller. I have a 03 blazer 4.3. Anyhow it loaded up with carbon so badf I had to scrub my garage floor and the frame of the garage door. It was unreal how much it shot out. I'm sure you know what i ended up doing after that. I did'nt throw it away though. What a bummer. I'm sure if I was more electronically inclined this wouldn't of happened. Otherwise I'm very happy so far the way it is.

What unit did you buy that controlled both o2 and map,and where did you locate it?