You have to know a bit about electronics in order to understand what Im about to say, but...

What if you made 10 or 12 separate cells, each consisting of only two plates, each wired +-, each in separate housings so that they worked independently of each other. BUT, wire them in series. So that voltage goes into one plate of the first cell, then the wire from the other plate goes to the next cell, and so on.

This would be equavilent to wiring a cell with several neutral plates, each (if there were 10) would get about 1.4 volts each, (with 14 volts applied.)

Now, why have separate cells? As a cell heats up, it's resistance decreases. If you understand series circuits, you know that less resistance, gets less voltage. So assuming that all cells are equal, each cell of ten with 14 volts applied would get 1.4 volts. But as one particular cell began to heat up, it's resistance would decline, consequently it's voltage would decline, causing more voltage to be applied to the colder cells, warming them faster. The hotter cell would get less voltage, enabling it to cool somewhat.

That is the theory, what do you think? Actually, my idea is to have all cells tied together at the bottom so that I don't have to fill each separately, and the air lines exiting the top would connect them together there, but each should pretty much retain it's own water during operation, allowing temperature fuluctuations to cause voltage fluctuations, regulating temperature somewhat. (I hope.)