Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idea for cell, maybe...

fisher Guest
    My opinion that the resistance of a cell decreases as temperature increases is based on the fact that as the cell is powered on cold, there will be a smaller amount of current than there is after the cell has been on a while and gotten warm. I am sure that you have encountered the vicious cycle of a cell heating, drawing more current, more current makes it get hotter, which makes it draw more current, which makes it hotter...

I conclude from that fact alone, that resistance is decreasing as the cell warms. How else would current be able to increase?

I ran a cell today that began at 12 amps and as it ran, the current grew to 20 amps, and I shut it down because it was getting too hot. It is certain that current increases with heat. I don't know what resistance would be doing other than what Ohm's law would reveal and that is that as current is increasing, with a constant applied voltage, resistance must be decreasing. I don't think it is the temperature coefficient of the stainless, but of the electrolyte.

fisher Guest
    PWM is my next series of studies, but first I am wanting to exhaust mechanical or physical cell designs that help to counteract the heating problem. I figure that with a combination of a good cell, and a PWM, I can RULE THE WORLD, or at least one little facet of my world.

Riddler250 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher View Post
    My opinion that the resistance of a cell decreases as temperature increases is based on the fact that as the cell is powered on cold, there will be a smaller amount of current than there is after the cell has been on a while and gotten warm. I am sure that you have encountered the vicious cycle of a cell heating, drawing more current, more current makes it get hotter, which makes it draw more current, which makes it hotter...

I conclude from that fact alone, that resistance is decreasing as the cell warms. How else would current be able to increase?

I ran a cell today that began at 12 amps and as it ran, the current grew to 20 amps, and I shut it down because it was getting too hot. It is certain that current increases with heat. I don't know what resistance would be doing other than what Ohm's law would reveal and that is that as current is increasing, with a constant applied voltage, resistance must be decreasing. I don't think it is the temperature coefficient of the stainless, but of the electrolyte.
    Agin i meant no disrespect for your cell, I actually think it is a great idea. and I await the day I read your results. It seems as though the reaction of the electrolyte allows for more current because of less resistance, in which case you are correct, it is the temperature coefficient of the electrolyte and its conductivity, not the plates. right?

Riddler250 Guest
    PWM is my next series of studies, but first I am wanting to exhaust mechanical or physical cell designs that help to counteract the heating problem. I figure that with a combination of a good cell, and a PWM, I can RULE THE WORLD, or at least one little facet of my world.
    At $90 for a tank of gas it isnt a little facet of my world. thats $270 a month. I brought that down a tank driving the spped limit on the highway. i have a good cruise control. I figure if i can get down to $200/month ill be kicking a**.

fisher Guest
    I am afraid of myself in this. I get just about 420 miles on a 15 gallon tank. If I could up that to 500 miles it would be nice. But then, I fear I will go for 600, then 700, ...

I am bad about improving things to the point of total catastrophe.

And yep, it is the water, not the plates.

As far as reading about my cell, between making it fit into my Accord, and deciding exactly what cell to build, it may be a while, and no telling what I will eventually decide to go with. Im just tossing out ideas as they occur to me from my studies and from thinking about it.

Riddler250 Guest
    I am afraid of myself in this. I get just about 420 miles on a 15 gallon tank. If I could up that to 500 miles it would be nice. But then, I fear I will go for 600, then 700, ...

I am bad about improving things to the point of total catastrophe.

And yep, it is the water, not the plates.

As far as reading about my cell, between making it fit into my Accord, and deciding exactly what cell to build, it may be a while, and no telling what I will eventually decide to go with. Im just tossing out ideas as they occur to me from my studies and from thinking about it.
    if I could go 420miles on a tank, i would be proud. I drive a 5.7liter v8 with a 30gallon tank. my wifes car goes about 500 on a 16 gallon tank. Sometimes there is a very fine line between total sucess and a total catastrophe. I have plenty of room for a cell, im just afraid i might buld one too big. Im thinking about getting a step up transfoemer and running 24v to a pelican case with 14cells. double the size, maybe double production. Im the same way. I think I might scrap my smacks booster, due to heat issues and go with something like smith03 has built. Ive had ideas about cells and powering them, but i always get on here and find someone that already tried it.

fisher Guest
    I read somewhere a (what I though was) good idea to add to your Smacks booster. The dude had taken old anti-freeze containers and cut the sides out of them. In the smacks, where a SS nut joins two plates, he had added a piece of the plastic as an insulator. It had holes big enough that the nuts went through the holes in the plastic, but the plastic was cut to fit tight in his container, so that no current could go through the electrolyte at that point, but had to go through the nuts. The purpose was to prevent current losses through the electrolyte.

Just in case somebody reading doesn't understand, a smacks has plates connected together with stainless nuts so that there is no voltage differental on the plates. The plates are alternated between being tied (electically) together, then separated by insulators, then tied, ... So installing the insulators doesn't hurt production, it just insures that current will not be flowing around the generator and is only flowing through the generator.

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    I read somewhere a (what I though was) good idea to add to your Smacks booster. The dude had taken old anti-freeze containers and cut the sides out of them. In the smacks, where a SS nut joins two plates, he had added a piece of the plastic as an insulator. It had holes big enough that the nuts went through the holes in the plastic, but the plastic was cut to fit tight in his container, so that no current could go through the electrolyte at that point, but had to go through the nuts. The purpose was to prevent current losses through the electrolyte.

Just in case somebody reading doesn't understand, a smacks has plates connected together with stainless nuts so that there is no voltage differental on the plates. The plates are alternated between being tied (electically) together, then separated by insulators, then tied, ... So installing the insulators doesn't hurt production, it just insures that current will not be flowing around the generator and is only flowing through the generator.
    Do you know what his results are like?

fisher Guest
    No, I don't just thought it was a neat idea.

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    I was rethinking through my ap physics class and I had this idea.

Could you wrap a wire around a magnet and get current? idk I think so I have not tried it yet.

Let me know what you think