Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Idea for cell, maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by redneckgearhead34 View Post
    I was rethinking through my ap physics class and I had this idea.

Could you wrap a wire around a magnet and get current? idk I think so I have not tried it yet.

Let me know what you think
    Not quite, but close. If you make a coil of wire and move a magnetic field through it you will generate current. This is the basis of an alternator.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

fisher Guest
    One or the other has to be moving. The coil moves through the magnetic field, a generator. Or the magnetic field moves through the coil, a transformer. Either way, the turns of the coil have to be passing through magnetic lines of flux.

What were you trying to do? I have an idea that I may try someday of obtaining an old coil from a car, those things would generate several thousand volts from pulsating 12VDC. Hook that to a cell and see what blows up!

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher View Post
    One or the other has to be moving. The coil moves through the magnetic field, a generator. Or the magnetic field moves through the coil, a transformer. Either way, the turns of the coil have to be passing through magnetic lines of flux.

What were you trying to do? I have an idea that I may try someday of obtaining an old coil from a car, those things would generate several thousand volts from pulsating 12VDC. Hook that to a cell and see what blows up!
    haha blowing stuff up is fun!!!! Just looking for a way to create electricity with out drawing it from my alternator.

Any ideas?

Riddler250 Guest
    haha blowing stuff up is fun!!!! Just looking for a way to create electricity with out drawing it from my alternator.

Any ideas?
    A semiconductor will convert heat to voltage, but Im afraid they arent very efficient.

fisher Guest
    Any ideas for generating voltage without pulling it from your alternator? Uhhh, a little monkey pedaling a bicycle connected to a generator? A second alternator installed? Oooh, a windmill as a hood ornament.

Seriously, why do you not want to pull if from your alternator? Your alternator should have the capacity to generate more than your car requires, and it is there. As I understand it, it does take some extra gas to generate extra amps from the alternator, but not enough to nullify the benefit of adding HHO generated in the process back into the engine.

My best idea, so far is the one concerning an old coil from a car, back in the day when cars had coils. Sort of a class C amplifier type setup.

Riddler250 Guest
    Redneck, why this probably isn't the case for your car, the police cars I put together have a better alternator than stock and we pull close to 80a with everything running. I don't see why a stock alternator wouldn't have an extra 30 or even 50a unless you have a large stereo system

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Its not that I cant pull it from the alternator, if I can get electricity from some other source then in theory it should increase my gas mileage even more.

I was just brain storming but tell me more about these semiconductors they seem interesting.

Also I have thought of pulling a small windmill in my truck(forgetting the fact that is would look stupid) because it isnt very aerodynamic to start with.

put a solar panel on your dash or back deck.
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

Riddler250 Guest
    Its not that I cant pull it from the alternator, if I can get electricity from some other source then in theory it should increase my gas mileage even more.

I was just brain storming but tell me more about these semiconductors they seem interesting.

Also I have thought of pulling a small windmill in my truck(forgetting the fact that is would look stupid) because it isnt very aerodynamic to start with.
    the easiest way i know to explain them is, my pool heater, just like any gas furnace has a flame, to heat air, or water, or whatever. in modern heaters or furnaces there is a thermalcouple (semiconductor) What this does is as the side touhing the flame heats up, the opposite side is cooler, this varience creates a voltage, that tells the gas valve to open when the varience reaches a certain point (the flame is burning) if the flame was to extinguish that temerature varience would drop, therefore the voltage would drop closing the valve (turning off the gas) its a safty feature built in. one thread on here talked about wrapping a series of thermalcouples around the exhaust manifold (to heat the one side, the other side will have a heatsink on it to dissapate heat, creating the temp. varience, therfore converting heat. the problem with these are that the efficiency of a thermalcouple is somewhere around 4-8%. the cost of these is dropping, but they are still very expensive, and you would need a lot of them to generate enough electricity. Im at work now and get yelled at for doing personal work on the computer so i dont have too much time to discuss this more, unless i charge my blackberry. OFF SUBJECT... Does anyone know at what RPM an alternator engages?

I like the monkey idea better