Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas... Amplifier and Water Vapor Injection

bigapple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Bigapple,

Looks like you have a MAF sensor. I am guessing that since the line is hooked up after the MAF, your computer will detect a vacuum leak as the air from the vaporizer is not being metered. Have you had this trouble yet?
    If not, you might eventually. I would say try to find the stock air box and inject it there so that the extra incoming air will be metered. Otherwise, I see check engine light and computer adding more fuel to try and make up for it in the future.
    Well see, the issue with that is that my vaporizer actually runs off the car's vacuum. If I was to run it somewhere else, I'd probably need a fogger of some sort. There is enough backpressure right now to where idle and cruising rpms are not affected. I had a code pop up the other day for about 5 minutes and when I got back in the car next time it vanished. I definitely want to manually lean out the mixture and reset the timing. I've been looking for the best programmer for the buck. Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by bigapple View Post
    Well see, the issue with that is that my vaporizer actually runs off the car's vacuum.
    Well, mostly I have referenced this guy's info. Apparently negative vaccum works well. No need for outside air at all as long as the vapor container can withstand the vacuum. Also the sponge is absolutely neccessary.

http://web.hometel.com/~tron/1983_dodge_rampage.htm

He's also going by the screen name: Fozzy on http://www.hho-info.com

Riddler250 Guest
    Any updates bigapple?

bigapple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler250 View Post
    Any updates bigapple?
    Well a friend of mine suggested using methanol because he uses it to make biodiesel and he mentioned that it speeds water evaporation. So I set up a test with methanol and water and got a modest gain. I got a total of 15.1 mpg, which is substantially lower than my 17.5 with the isopropyl and water. I just bought a new container to use. It was in the food storage area of walmart. It's a large glass container covered in aluminum, with an aluminum lid. I usually don't like having glass under my hood, but having it covered in metal makes me feel a little better (I don't know why, haha; but it does).

So I have it designed now and its much much bigger than my old container (probably close to a gallon capacity) but it sloshes around the water too much and the vacuum line sucks in a little water. I tried different methods of blocking off the water and none seem to work but I've come up with a substantial idea and I just have to put it into play now.

I'm going to put two long pieces of the 3/8" lexan on each side in the bottom of the container and glue them in with silicon gasket sealer (these pieces will be about 3/4 the height of the container). Then I'm going to put some oval-shaped (the container is oval shaped and tall) plastic container lids on top of the lexan, which will create a small platform. I'm going to stack about 3 of the plastic dividers on top of each other and punch holes on one side of each piece. Then I'm going to barely space them from each other and alternate which sides the holes are on to prevent water from getting through. So, all in all, I'm creating a small platform to block the water, and it has a very complicated exit to get to the exit line.

Once I get this set up, I'll take pictures of everything and keep trying new chemicals. Cheers

Riddler250 Guest
    This may be a stupid question but Im having a hard time picturing this set up in my mind, could be that Im really tired or just stupid.

correct me if Im wrong but this is what im gathering...... on top of the cannister is that little air filter( where can i find one) there is a hose on the bottom of that that goes to the bubbler stone in the water? the output just comes out of the top of the canister. how far into the jar does that hose go?

have you done the math to see if it is a savings?
    where did you find iso and how much was it?

pictures?
    have you tried the other chemicals?
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

bigapple Guest
    This may be a stupid question but Im having a hard time picturing this set up in my mind, could be that Im really tired or just stupid.

correct me if Im wrong but this is what im gathering...... on top of the cannister is that little air filter( where can i find one) there is a hose on the bottom of that that goes to the bubbler stone in the water? the output just comes out of the top of the canister. how far into the jar does that hose go?
    Yeah, you're right. The breather filter (purchasable at autozone) goes into the inlet tube and the bubbler stone is at the bottom of hte jar. The output line is simply put under vacuum and vapor is drawn through the inlet line, to the bubbler stone, and vapor is captured from the solution inside.

Quote Originally Posted by resago View Post
    have you done the math to see if it is a savings?
    where did you find iso and how much was it?

pictures?
    have you tried the other chemicals?
    I haven't calculated that yet because I wanted to see if it worked first. But, from what I can see, I can drive an extra 30-40 miles on a tank of gas. So if I save that 7-8 bucks each time I go to the pump, the first fillup makes up for the materials purchased, and isopropyl only costs about 2 dollars for 20 ounces. So I'm in the green zone and not coming out negative.

I've tried isopropyl alcohol (70% with distilled water) and methanol, both at 50/50 mix in the container with water. I bought the isopropyl at CVS pharmacy for about 1.79 for 20 oz, and a friend of mine had a huge canister of methanol and let me use some. I just bought isopropyl at walmart for 2.09, with a 91% concentration. So hopefully I can use a lower concentration and still get the same results.

I just constructed a water catch in my container and got some pictures. I'll post them once I get the chance. I gotta run for now.

Riddler250 Guest
    bigapple, What is the total quantity of water/alc. in the cannister and how long did it last before needing refilled?

bigapple Guest
    bigapple, What is the total quantity of water/alc. in the cannister and how long did it last before needing refilled?

Well the alcohol definitely gets leached out faster than the water but it stayed at a pretty good consistency for a while. It lasted the entire tank of gas. You can tell when you need to add more alcohol because the water creates a light layer of foam while the vacuum line is running as it bubbles. I've noticed that the acetone evaporates much faster than the alcohol and it makes the engine not run as smooth since the vapors are intense. But I guess thats the purpose of a test, which is why I don't mind being the guinea pig.

I used about 5 oz of alcohol (about 1/4-1/5 of the bottle) and added about 10 or so oz of water, so I guess it was a little more offset than 50/50 but I don't know if thats a huge concern.

I bought some goop (this stuff is VERY messy; permatex is much better) at a local Ace Hardware and didn't realize that the solvent in the bottle was toluene, which is quite similar to acetone. When I was done constructing it, I pulled out some of the dried goop and poured acetone on it to see if it would hold up. Unfortunately enough, acetone was a solvent of this material, so I had to start over. I went and got permatex gasket sealer from walmart in the automotive section, and that stood up to anything without dissolving. Here are the pictures after I put it in with the crappy goop stuff. The first pic shows the first layer on, with the 4 pieces of lexan adhered to the sides of the container which creates a little platform. The second shows the 2nd layer with the dividers (nuts, as you can see). And the third shows all the layers in the container. I put clay around the outlet line at the top to prevent splashing water from getting around the catch.

fisher Guest
    I have installed a vaporizer into my Accord and am currently evaluating its operation / benefits. I used a Wal-Mart air stone and cut and made mine from 1 1/4 inch PVC. My pipe is about 10 inches long, capped at the bottom, with a reducer at the top so that I coulld screw in a threaded hose coupling. To me more plainer, ;-), I have a coupling glued onto the top, with a reducer glued into it. The reducer reduces from a 1 1/4 inch glued fitting to a 1/2 inch threaded fitting. I have a air line coupling threaded therein.

I then drilled a hole down into the reducer, beside the existing hole, for an incoming air line. Glued in an air line and attached the air stone to it.

I drilled two holes in the side of the pipe, into the couplings, and glued in an air line running between the two holes for a visible sight gauge so that I could see the water level in the pipe.

My entrance air line goes from the bottom of the pipe where the air stone is, to outside the pipe and hangs loose for about a foot. To refill the pipe, I just run the car and stick that hose into a gallon of distilled water and let it suck the water in. EASY FILL!

Now for my problem, the suction is so great that is sucks all the water out of the pipe (except for only a couple of inches worth). Evidently the water bubbles so furiously that the bubbles and their surrounding water get sucked out. (The car runs a bit rough when this happens.) First fix to try, will be a longer pipe. If that doesn't help, I will restrict the incoming air flow with a screw inserted into the open end of my intake hose.

Another thought, use my second air stone on the loose outside end of the intake hose as an air filter. Planning on doing this. Seems it would be a good idea.

Final thought, build my HHO generator to add to this system. Then instead of adding alcohol, methanol, keytone, or bean soup to my vaporizer; I will be adding HHO, and bubbling. What are your thoughts on this?