Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas... Amplifier and Water Vapor Injection

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    I was thinking why not take some small radiator hose and run it around your jar containing the vaporizer. This would bring the temp of the water up quite a bit.

I think I am going to steal my little brother aquarium pump(that he does not use anymore) make it run on 12vDC then use it along side with the vacuum of the vehicle.

What do yall think?

bigapple Guest
    I'm not really sure how you're explaining that so if you could clear it up I might be able to help you out a bit, but from the way it sounds, you want to create steam in a way. If you have a water separator for your vacuum line, I'd say go for it. But I'm simply making low-temp water vapor with no form of water droplets in it.

Just an update, I hooked it all up under the hood and the water-shield that I constructed works great and I'm no longer getting any water or condensation in the vacuum line so that's always a plus.

When I first put the vaporizer together, I hooked it up to my car without the breather filter on it to make sure I'm getting a good vacuum and that I'm drawing in air and making water vapor. I started up the car and heard one of the highest pitched whistles I've ever heard in my life. WORD OF CAUTION: If you value having eardrums, make sure to stuff the intake line with steel wool to dampen out the sound. It still whistles a little bit, but it has gone down substantially in sound.

It's working like its supposed to and everything is pretty snug under the hood. Tonight I'm resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery and I'm refilling the gas tank to get a measurement of mpg for the next tank. Wish me luck.

bigapple Guest
    Alright, well I'm not sure if these are substantial results for facts but here's what I've got.

I was getting about 13.7 in the city before I tried vapor injection. I took a road trip with my friends this weekend to Lafayette, which is about an hour away from Baton Rouge. I drove right around 75+ and had to floor it a few times to catch up with our leader who was terrible.

I averaged right around 17.1 which doesn't sound too great but it seems like an improvement because there are a few factors to consider.

1. I drove faster than most highway ratings are posted at. If I had gone about 55-60 for the drive, I may have averaged about 18 or 18.5.

2. I also had to floor it a few times and I know that takes a decent amount off of the average mpg.

I'm thinking it's working but before I start adding stuff to the water, I'm going to see how it does on distilled water alone in the city.

I'm thinking of adding acetone or methanol, or possibly both to the water to see how it works out. Acetone has very flammable vapors and the methanol will assist in vaporizing the water, so maybe that will give me a little extra push.

I'll post results from my city mpg on the next fillup.

Quote Originally Posted by bigapple View Post
    Alright, well I'm not sure if these are substantial results for facts but here's what I've got.

I was getting about 13.7 in the city before I tried vapor injection. I took a road trip with my friends this weekend to Lafayette, which is about an hour away from Baton Rouge. I drove right around 75+ and had to floor it a few times to catch up with our leader who was terrible.

I averaged right around 17.1 which doesn't sound too great but it seems like an improvement because there are a few factors to consider.

1. I drove faster than most highway ratings are posted at. If I had gone about 55-60 for the drive, I may have averaged about 18 or 18.5.

2. I also had to floor it a few times and I know that takes a decent amount off of the average mpg.

I'm thinking it's working but before I start adding stuff to the water, I'm going to see how it does on distilled water alone in the city.

I'm thinking of adding acetone or methanol, or possibly both to the water to see how it works out. Acetone has very flammable vapors and the methanol will assist in vaporizing the water, so maybe that will give me a little extra push.

I'll post results from my city mpg on the next fillup.
    Bigapple,

Go with Isopropyl and make sure the mixture is 50/50 water to iso. Consider that iso is about 70% alcohol too. Also, for best results... place your container near the radiator fans (hopefully you got polycarbonate and not acrylic) and/ or hoses to help the evaporation. Heat will work way better than just air alone. I have my polycarbonate sports bottle touching the radiator return hose and partially in the path of the main radiator fan. I have measured the temps on a really hot day after running hard and they are around 212*F at the top of the radiator, so evaporation should happen very easily. Heat is the key. Also using a good porous sponge in the container and allowing the majority of it's surface area to be out of the mixture will help with wicking.

bigapple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Bigapple,

Go with Isopropyl and make sure the mixture is 50/50 water to iso. Consider that iso is about 70% alcohol too. Also, for best results... place your container near the radiator fans (hopefully you got polycarbonate and not acrylic) and/ or hoses to help the evaporation. Heat will work way better than just air alone. I have my polycarbonate sports bottle touching the radiator return hose and partially in the path of the main radiator fan. I have measured the temps on a really hot day after running hard and they are around 212*F at the top of the radiator, so evaporation should happen very easily. Heat is the key. Also using a good porous sponge in the container and allowing the majority of it's surface area to be out of the mixture will help with wicking.
    Yea I considered using Isopropyl but I wondered what exactly is the other 30%? Is it just more water? If so then the 50/50 would need to be offset a bit.

And you're right about the heat and it's been considered. I just wonder how exactly I can get it next to a radiator hose because the bottle would have to be suspended to be touching it.

And also since Isopropyl is more volatile than water and evaporates much faster, I think I might want to offset the 50/50 to maybe 70/30 Iso/Water.

What do you think?

denatured achohol

Would denatured also work for this?I think it's 100% achohol if I remember correctly.

bigapple Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hg2 View Post
    Would denatured also work for this?I think it's 100% achohol if I remember correctly.
    Well, any volatile gas is going to be flammable, it's just a matter of which one has the best burn, and which one is the best bang for the buck. The key here is we're trying to reduce the price you pay for gas. So, if a big jug of denatured alcohol costs more than a big jug of acetone or isopropyl, you should go with the cheaper one to save more money because that is the key. Good mileage=less money (with the lower priced chemicals that aid for the best burn in the cylinders).

bigapple Guest
    UPDATE: Just found a forum called fuel-saver.org and they have a complete thread on methanol/water vapor injection.

Here's the link: http://www.fuel-saver.org/Forum/show...tid=210&page=1

Some of the things that were pointed out were interesting.

1. If you put your vaporizer close to something hot, it will actually increase the temperature of the incoming air and have a reverse effect. Although it speeds vaporization, the incoming vapor won't be as cool and won't be able to absorb as much energy during combustion, which is trying to be done.

2. Using a fogger will help speed the vaporization process by also keeping the temperature low.

I'm not sure where the cheapest fogger would be available but I'm going to research it a little more.

I'm going to test with distilled water alone, then adding isopropyl, then adding acetone and seeing what my results show. If a fogger will be the ultimate key to helping here, then I may have to make another purchase. The benefits seem pretty clear though: lower operating temperature, better combustion, smoother operation, increased mpg and performance. *Think about this plus hydroxy. Could see some good things.*

Water vapor systems sound logical to increase mpg but I was wondering/ Leaning out the gas increases the exhaust and head temp. Would the water vapor system reduce the heat so maybe we could decrease the gas some more. I THINK I HAVE THE VAPORS

Yes it would!

I had the same thought. Would like to be using an EGT meter before I went that far though.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO