Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Figuring Voltage per plate ????

redDEVIL Guest

Parallel configuration

Hi everyone..
    I just want to share a lil experiment of mine. Recently i did an experiment using :

(1) 3 cells working in parallel, where the cell's configuration was :
    -NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+

(2) A battery 12 Vdc and 45Ah.

(3) Caustic soda ( NaOH ) as the aditive

(4) At least 3 liters of electrolyte solution ( distilled water and NaOH ).

(5) 3mm gap per plate.

When the process began, i read 15 Amps and the voltage was steady at 12 V. Coz i was working with parallel config, it means that each cell will have 5 Amps ( 15 Amps divided by 3 cells ) and 12 Vdc each cell which means the voltage per plate was 1.7 Vdc. I got 0.1 Liter per minute.

What happened was, the temperature was rising so hot ( untill it reached 70 Celcius or 158 F ). The Current then dropped to 12 A and continued to drop untill 10 A. Still i got o.1 LPM.

The question is, What's wrong with my electrolyzer ? It should produce much HHO. My aim should be getting higher gas production ( untill 2 LPM ) and hopefully i can burn the gas safely without the risk of explosion.

Anyone please help me...

Quote Originally Posted by redDEVIL View Post
    Hi everyone..

The question is, What's wrong with my electrolyzer ? It should produce much HHO. My aim should be getting higher gas production ( untill 2 LPM ) and hopefully i can burn the gas safely without the risk of explosion.

Anyone please help me...
    Can you post a pic of your setup?
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeHHO View Post
    Can someone please clear this up for me ....

I read this in the forum on the thread about " Surface Area and Voltage "

One stated " You voltage is 13.8 thus you plates are ~1.97v/p"

Then someone posted this " in a 7 plate setup, there are 6 cell, so 13.8/6=2.3

I had been believing the first but figuring at 13.7 volts in my design but then when I read that post I wanted to post here and get my facts straight before proceeding any farther ....
    The 6 cells and 2.3 V/Cell is correct. You have a bipolar stack. One anode, 5 BiPolar Plates and one Cathode. (The bipolar plates are an anode on one face and a cathode on the other side.) You have a 6 cell stack so 13.8/6 = 2.3V

voltage per cell

number of cells divided into voltage= voltage per cell

so is there really any benifit to the Smackbooster wet cell design,
    +nnn-nnn+
    (actually 6 nuetral plates each side, but connected by jam-nut so they are like one plate?)

I was thinking of making mine smaller, and having only 4 or 5 nuetral plates instead of 6 (12).

Quote Originally Posted by borgdrone View Post
    so is there really any benifit to the Smackbooster wet cell design,
    +nnn-nnn+
    (actually 6 nuetral plates each side, but connected by jam-nut so they are like one plate?)

I was thinking of making mine smaller, and having only 4 or 5 nuetral plates instead of 6 (12).
    you'd be dropping more voltage per plate by reducing the number of plates.

I don't think one or two plates would make that huge a difference though? Someone else would know that probably.

Anyone got a formula for figuring the LPM of a 24" x 12" system, with 62
    plates running at 120VDC with 15-20A??

Plate material will be HIGH MOLYBDENUM-CHROMIUM-NICKEL for excellent non-corrosive properties.

-Altern8Energy

AISI 316L is the way to go

There are news about titanium coated plates... but for now SS is the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by redDEVIL View Post
    Hi everyone..
    I just want to share a lil experiment of mine. Recently i did an experiment using :

"(1) 3 cells working in parallel, where the cell's configuration was :
    -NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+

(2) A battery 12 Vdc and 45Ah.

(3) Caustic soda ( NaOH ) as the aditive

(4) At least 3 liters of electrolyte solution ( distilled water and NaOH ).

(5) 3mm gap per plate.

When the process began, i read 15 Amps and the voltage was steady at 12 V. Coz i was working with parallel config, it means that each cell will have 5 Amps ( 15 Amps divided by 3 cells ) and 12 Vdc each cell which means the voltage per plate was 1.7 Vdc. I got 0.1 Liter per minute.

What happened was, the temperature was rising so hot ( untill it reached 70 Celcius or 158 F ). The Current then dropped to 12 A and continued to drop untill 10 A. Still i got o.1 LPM.

Anyone please help me...
    -NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+"

Your problem is these +- cant be next to each other

try -NNNNNN+NNNNNN-NNNNNN+

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Jacques View Post
    -NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+ -NNNNNN+"

Your problem is these +- cant be next to each other

try -NNNNNN+NNNNNN-NNNNNN+

I'm thinking he was set up as 3 single cells rather than one cell w/ the +- plates next to each other.