Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealing Plate Edges....... [:)]

sumdude Guest

Sealing Plate Edges....... [:)]

For those of you that actually seal the plate edges does it actually have a noticable effect on the operation of the cell?

For instance is the water temperature over a period of time reduced from before it was added?

Is production up or down?

Would it be a better alternative to use to PWM?

Wink

For those of you that actually seal the plate edges does it actually have a noticable effect on the operation of the cell? Yes

For instance is the water temperature over a period of time reduced from before it was added? yes, less waste heat.

Is production up or down? up

Would it be a better alternative to use to PWM? Not at all, a PWM is unrelated to building an efficient cell.

Think of a PWM as an automatic on/off switch.

BoyntonStu

sumdude Guest
    thanks for the reply. I understand the operation of the pwm on and off multiple time reducing the on time in half and blah blah blah lol..

However what are you all using to seal the edges. Ive heard of marine goop, rtv sealant, tape. which one will hold up the best in the naoh or koh solution?

Quote Originally Posted by BoyntonStu View Post
    For those of you that actually seal the plate edges does it actually have a noticable effect on the operation of the cell? Yes

For instance is the water temperature over a period of time reduced from before it was added? yes, less waste heat.

Is production up or down? up

Would it be a better alternative to use to PWM? Not at all, a PWM is unrelated to building an efficient cell.

Think of a PWM as an automatic on/off switch.

BoyntonStu

rtckjc Guest
    I have a wrapped cell which has sealed sides. I used ultra high temp black silicon to seal the sides. This is the only thing I have found that will hold up to the process. I start out running a bead on the edge of the plates as the cell is assembled. After the cell is asscembled I coat the entire side leaving the coat atleast a sixteenth thick over the entire side. This insures the silicon is all one piece of rubber. This helps to insure the seal is maintained and in place. The cell is seven plates, +nnnnn-. The spacing is maintained by nylon nuts on screws which extend through the cell. I use two liter bottles to heat shrink the entire cell when assembled. This has been a very sturdy design. The ends are open.

Quote Originally Posted by sumdude View Post
    thanks for the reply. I understand the operation of the pwm on and off multiple time reducing the on time in half and blah blah blah lol..

However what are you all using to seal the edges. Ive heard of marine goop, rtv sealant, tape. which one will hold up the best in the naoh or koh solution?
    I used a motorcycle innertube to wrap my open bath gen with.

sumdude Guest
    ok thanks for the inputs. anyone has pics they can post?

donnylynn Guest
    I used plexiglas to seal the edges of mine. See the link under my signature for pictures.

sumdude Guest
    ok in your method what do you use to hold the plexi together?

I am sure that there a lot of great ways to seal plates but for me Marine Goop has worked best. Can thake days to fully cure if applied in thick beads.

sumdude Guest
    ok and with the marine goop are you seeling only the distance between each cell or do you put it completely on each plate. Like for instance in the smack cell design he has his plates in pairs. Would you just seal the gap between each pair?

Do you have a pic of yours perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    I am sure that there a lot of great ways to seal plates but for me Marine Goop has worked best. Can thake days to fully cure if applied in thick beads.