Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 'edge effect' of plates

Jaxom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    On early tests conducted, a cell comprising of stainless tubing of steadily increasing increments (in this arrangement --> -+-+-+-) i noticed that the water flows around the cell. Up the side of one piece of tubing and down between the next two pieces of tubing until the bubbles attach themselves to other bubbles and causing them to rise and escape in to the atmosphere (leave the cell).

At the time i didn't put very much thought into this phenomemum occuring, but could the emf within plate be acting on the water? Stupid question really, of course it is. I mean do you remember the right hand rule pertaining to current flow?
    For those who don't know the right hand rule, (or left hand rule, depending on whether you're talking about conventional current or electron current flow,) when a magnetic field and an electric current are passed through a conductive material perpendicular to each other, the material is moved in a direction perpendicular to both. This rule is the basis for operation of electric motors and generators. The same effect generates a magnetic field around any conductor which has current passing through it. This is the basis of operation for electromagnets.

This came up once before on another thread....Spiro was fooling around with electromagnetic fields to see how they affected production, and I had a flashback to a Popular Science article I read years ago about magneto-hydrodynamic propulsion. The right hand rule pertains to any conductive material, including elelctrolyte (or seawater in the article.) The idea I had was to use this effect to circulate water through the cell to help liberate the HHO from the plates. It could also potentially serve to circulate electrolyte through an external cooler. Run a search for "Spiro cell" and the thread should turn up.

HALS-GUNSMITHING Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    For those who don't know the right hand rule, (or left hand rule, depending on whether you're talking about conventional current or electron current flow,) when a magnetic field and an electric current are passed through a conductive material perpendicular to each other, the material is moved in a direction perpendicular to both. This rule is the basis for operation of electric motors and generators. The same effect generates a magnetic field around any conductor which has current passing through it. This is the basis of operation for electromagnets.

This came up once before on another thread....Spiro was fooling around with electromagnetic fields to see how they affected production, and I had a flashback to a Popular Science article I read years ago about magneto-hydrodynamic propulsion. The right hand rule pertains to any conductive material, including elelctrolyte (or seawater in the article.) The idea I had was to use this effect to circulate water through the cell to help liberate the HHO from the plates. It could also potentially serve to circulate electrolyte through an external cooler. Run a search for "Spiro cell" and the thread should turn up.
    I wonder if a small impeller in the bottom of the cell would push the buubles off the plates and maybee keep the water cooler.