Thread: How could I

How could I

How could I hook up a HHO generator to produce a constant flame? Would a generator produce enough preasure to sustain a flame out of a small hole in a manafold?

Riddler250 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boltazar View Post
    How could I hook up a HHO generator to produce a constant flame? Would a generator produce enough preasure to sustain a flame out of a small hole in a manafold?
    Good question, but why?

Jaxom Guest
    You can sustain a flame with as little as .6lpm of HHO. I've done it. You just have to run it through a very small orifice so that it has some velocity. The size of the flame will depend on the flow rate of the HHO and the size of the orifice. Use a backfire suppressor or your genny may explode when you blow the flame out. I got lucky and mine just blew the output hose off the genny.

From what I've read you need 3-5lpm for a decent HHO torch.

Thanks Jaxom, I'm just thinking ahead here. I'm rebuilding my 2 car garage / shop and plan on installing radiant heat in the floor. If I can rig the heater to run on HHO it might save me some money. any idea how small of a hole, to run on a manifold their might have to be a few small holes?

Jaxom Guest
    I can't even begin to guess at that. It's going to depend on the size of the heater, how much HHO you can supply to it, etc. I used an orifice about .030" in diameter for my cobbled-together micro-torch, and it developed a 3/4" flame, although I don't know exactly how many lpm it was consuming or what the pressure in the electrolyzer stabilized at. Preventing a backfire into the manifold should be a primary concern if you try to do this.

I had a thought about trying to feed HHO to a propane grill just to see if it would work, but haven't had a chance to chase that tangent yet. I think filtering and dumping the O2, and feeding the grill straight H2 has a better chance of working. Then the H2 burn would be limited by the availability of O2 from ambient air, just like the propane burn is. That might be easier to control, and would certainly be safer.

Exclamation

Thanks Jaxom, I'm just thinking ahead here. I'm rebuilding my 2 car garage / shop and plan on installing radiant heat in the floor. If I can rig the heater to run on HHO it might save me some money. any idea how small of a hole, to run on a manifold their might have to be a few small holes?
    1> Learn the difference between Heat and Temperature.

2> If you are thinking of using the grid to generate the hho gas, you will use more energy (heat) to produce high temperature from the torch, but you will get less heat.

IOW Fuggetaboutit!

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu, you may be correct but it may work. Radiant heat requires little btu's to maintain in a 550 Sq Ft area that's well insulated.

Can the generator maintain enough preasure to run he HHO through a check valve / regulator, a bubbler and up to a small manifold with 4 or 6 nossiles?

Don't store hydrogen in a propane container, BIG boom, it will fail. Explosion proof tanks are avaliable. I think HHO can be compressed in one tank up to 400 psi.

Jaxom Guest
    The electrolyzer's ability to produce pressure is determined solely by the design of the electrolyzer. HHO gas is far less dense than water, so anytime the genny is running it will create pressure. As long as the genny doesn't leak or blow apart, it should generate just as much pressure as you want. The trick is, when you release the HHO to use it, the pressure will drop. Where the pressure stabilizes depends on how much HHO you let out to use, and how much the genny produces to replace it. Like so many other things, it's a balancing act.

Wink

BoyntonStu, you may be correct but it may work. Radiant heat requires little btu's to maintain in a 550 Sq Ft area that's well insulated.

Can the generator maintain enough preasure to run he HHO through a check valve / regulator, a bubbler and up to a small manifold with 4 or 6 nossiles?

Don't store hydrogen in a propane container, BIG boom, it will fail. Explosion proof tanks are avaliable. I think HHO can be compressed in one tank up to 400 psi.
    A used $4 Goodwill 1,500 Watt heater may be adequate to heat your garage. At about 30 cents an hour.

You may also consider using incandescent light bulbs for their light and for their heat. A dozen 100 Watt bulbs will give you a lot of both.
    Might was well get good lighting if you want the heat.

BoyntonStu

Also, drive your car in and the engine warmth will help for a little while.

I see where your going with this and from my expierence with a hho torch the manafold might not work.the holes would have to be extreamly small. yould be beter off using several generators, maybe four or more with each having their own micro torch tip.now if you had about a dozen solar pannels charging some deep cycle marine batteries with grid backup I could see it working. the funny thing about a hho flame is you can put your hand in the flame and it dosen't seam too hot. stick a piece of steel wire in the flame and it turns white hot and melts instantly.the white hot light is hard to look at for very long with out welding glasses.