Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning - WHAT NOT TO DO - when building a elctrolyzer

Exclamation

I think this is the link that you guys are looking for.http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/ChemComp.asp Try this. I found it very informative.

Yep, coleparmer is the site. I have been referencing that data for a long time in to determine what all reacts with different plastics and also aluminum. Great reference data.

I purchased the neoprene from mcmaster.com. It was delivered in 3 days with normal delivery. I am in Texas.

bigapple Guest
    That's crazy that someone figured out what the foam was from. I wouldn't say my generator has gotten the water to the form of jelly, but I wondered where the bubbles were coming from and why I was springing leaks. I used permatex ultra-black high temp gasket sealer. It's silicone-based but much more durable than the red and blue RTV sealer so I thought it would do it. Good to know it was figured out.

Where can you buy neoprene cement? Is marine Goop neoprene? Seems like it would be easier to seal it off that way rather than having to lay down strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    ......I purchased the neoprene from mcmaster.com. It was delivered in 3 days with normal delivery. I am in Texas.
    Hi,
    Please check with an ohmmeter if the neoprene you got is non-conductive as some of them are made for ESD mat.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    I found that going to the local rubber outlet and buying sheet rubber and cutting it with an exacto knife into the shape you need was the most effective and easiest way to go.
    Thats what I did. I got 1/8" neoprene from a local rubber manufacturer and it cost me $25 bucks for a 36" x 36" piece. Put my gen together and got 500mlpm at 6amps. The 1/8" did not compress as much as I thought so I might build another with 1/16". I'm happy with it so far.

Stevo, If you don't mind me asking where in Texas are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by insane4evr View Post
    Hi,
    Please check with an ohmmeter if the neoprene you got is non-conductive as some of them are made for ESD mat.

Did not register any ohms with my standard type meters with Neoprene or EPDM

I did fnd EPDM it a bit more chem resistant and higher temps than neoprene (up to 220) Close to the same price as neoprene.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    Thats what I did. I got 1/8" neoprene from a local rubber manufacturer and it cost me $25 bucks for a 36" x 36" piece. Put my gen together and got 500mlpm at 6amps. The 1/8" did not compress as much as I thought so I might build another with 1/16". I'm happy with it so far.

Stevo, If you don't mind me asking where in Texas are you located?
    Dallas/Fort Worth

Quote Originally Posted by insane4evr View Post
    Hi,
    It reads infinite resistance. Thanks though. Here's the part number:

9455K922 - http://www.mcmaster.com/

Commercial Strength Neoprene Rubber

It reads infinite resistance. Thanks though. Here's the part number:

9455K922 - http://www.mcmaster.com/

Commercial Strength Neoprene Rubber
    Thanks. Will order some.

Dallas/Fort Worth
    I picked up my neoprene in Dallas. The name of the place: Texas rubber supply