Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potassium Hydroxide from Lowes?

Potassium Hydroxide from Lowes?

Is anyone buying their potassium hydroxide at Lowes?

If so, what product are you buying that is 100% KOH?

My initial supply from Cosmetic Grade ran out and they don't sell it any more, plus I need to get some in a hurry. I'm also not convinced about the consistency of their flaked KOH product.

I can't use sodium hydroxide as there is PVC in my setup.

Thanks!

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    Is anyone buying their potassium hydroxide at Lowes?

If so, what product are you buying that is 100% KOH?

My initial supply from Cosmetic Grade ran out and they don't sell it any more, plus I need to get some in a hurry. I'm also not convinced about the consistency of their flaked KOH product.

I can't use sodium hydroxide as there is PVC in my setup.

Thanks!

Russ.
    I never found 100% KOH at Lowes. Found a mixture of KOH and Naoh. Thats just in my area. Might be different in other parts of country.

Jaxom Guest
    Same here. You can try this website but you'll have to wait for it to be shipped to you.

DOUBLEL Guest
    why can You not use sodium hydroxide with pvc?

Atm0spher Guest
    its 100% lye or 100% sodium hydroxide that is at lows both are on the bottle. it is heavy duty drain cleaner. i have been using the lye with black pvc and haven't seen any problems.

I read a link, that I kept in my bookmarks, that had a compatibility matrix for various catalysts and plastics. It said "no" for PVC and NaOH, I just went back to that link:

http://waterfuel.t35.com/own_electrolyser.html

...but as you can see, the page is no longer up.

I've just been googling to see if I can find some similar information, but everything I've found so far says it's not a problem.

Big Shrug.

DOUBLEL Guest
    the drain cleaner is used in pvc drain pipes, Iknow it isnt used all the time like in your gen, but I wouldnt think it would hurt anything. are You worried about the shower liner or the tank?

Both really, but I think the link I read was misinformed to be honest.

I just ordered some lab grade KOH from here:

http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Pot...P6511C670.aspx

Seems most of the stuff around is 90% pure, like the last lot I had, but I had some inconsistent results with it. Going to give the 99+% a shot and see if it's more consistent. 500g (1lb) was $13.95, with shipping it came to $25. Hopefully, it will be worth it.

When the KOH is 90% pure, one has to wonder what the other 10% could be.

M Bell Guest

Naoh

Just thought I would pass on information. I recently purchased 100% NAOH at Wal Mart. It was the cheapest drain cleaner they had.

toxic281 Guest

Finding Electrolytes

I went to Lowe's today, could not find the "Roebic 100%" stuff. They did have 1 bottle left of sulfuric acid. Bag was leaking, black liquid all over the place and got it on my hands.
    So I then went to Home Depot. Found a product called "Instant Power" (drain opener), label said it contains concentrated lye. So I called the toll free number while in the store and they stated that this product contains 77% sodium hydroxide, 3% potassium hydroxide and the last 20% is water. Does anyone see a problem using this product?
    How much of this liquid product do you think that I would need to add for an HHO container that holds 40oz. of water?
    Thanks and this is my first post here!!!