Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Right under my nose this whole time

While your talking about alternative power sources. What about TEG, Thermoelectric generators? The guy I was talking to said four 12volt Teg's would power 15amps. I don't know anything about them. I was curious if this was really an option. He gave a site address: http://www.hi-z.com/store.php

Riddler250 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotinkerer View Post
    While your talking about alternative power sources. What about TEG, Thermoelectric generators? The guy I was talking to said four 12volt Teg's would power 15amps. I don't know anything about them. I was curious if this was really an option. He gave a site address: http://www.hi-z.com/store.php
    I have been studying those for a while now. He claims 5% efficiency, which is possible with a really good thermal couple most i found are 4%. They have been discussed on this forum briefly as a way to power your hho gen from the heat coming off of the exhaust manifold. The problem i have with tegs is the price/efficiency ratio. his lower model is $60, produces 3.3v 2.5watts. it takes a 200 degree variance to "produce" this power. Im really bad at math so I cant figure how long it would take to pay for itself. Im not saying tegs are bad, the technology works, and has been in use for many years. There is a town in germany i think that has built a few tall towers, at the top of these towers is a huge teg. on the ground is a butt load of mirrors reflecting the sun to the tower. creating a high temp variance. they power a small town and produce no emmisions. until the cost of thermalcouples comes down, (i think most use silicon) they are only really good as relay triggers to most people like us.
    That is just my opinion that is based on what I read. I reccomend doing your own research and coming to your own conclusion.

they are all over ebay. 156watt for $10.
    TEG, also known as TEC and Peltier device.
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

Riddler250 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by resago View Post
    thanks for the lookout. ill check em out. Im going to talk to my boss about all them batteries tonight. hopefully he will say yes. 20 12v 7a batteries!

Riddler250 Guest
    156watts and 12v is input. a peltier device uses electricity to generate hot and cold. its the exact same the only difference in the peltier device and what you really want is what the semiconductor is made of. if you read descriptions on the auctions you will notice that they are used to heat and cool based on the input of the voltage out in. They work both ways. read up on the seebeck effect, that is what you are looking for, the problem with thermal couples is they typically have a maximum output in microvolts. I will find a spec sheet and explain it if you like.

used em in supercooling a PC.

haven't actually used them in energy generation, but its the same device.
    if its 5%, then the 165watt version would output 8 watts given enough temp differential. thats less than an amp at 12v.

I had an idea to get a 1ft sq sheet of Al and paint one side black, mount a tec and heatsink to the underside and see what kind of power can be made in the noontime heat.

Riddler250 Guest
    used em in supercooling a PC.

haven't actually used them in energy generation, but its the same device.
    if its 5%, then the 165watt version would output 8 watts given enough temp differential. thats less than an amp at 12v.

I had an idea to get a 1ft sq sheet of Al and paint one side black, mount a tec and heatsink to the underside and see what kind of power can be made in the noontime heat.
    You are right, it is the exact same device. Like I said before, its only 5% but its better than nothing. I was going to get a copper sheet and wire a thermopile in between 2 sheets of copper. if I can get 12v and 1amp i can still trickle charge a battery bank, better than nothing

donnylynn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler250 View Post
    I was going to get a copper sheet and wire a thermopile in between 2 sheets of copper. if I can get 12v and 1amp i can still trickle charge a battery bank, better than nothing
    I believe you will need many more than 1 thermocouple to get the voltage and current you need. A thermocouple puts out only a few millivolts. The TEC's use a large number of them wired in series. probably why they cost what they do.

here's a 400 watt'r
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-400W-The...d=p3286.c0.m14

BTW use silver paste, and clamping pressure is crucial!! As tight as you can get it without crushing.
    if you use nylon bolts, you can tighten to the point of stripping the threads and the TEC will be fine.

Riddler250 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by donnylynn View Post
    I believe you will need many more than 1 thermocouple to get the voltage and current you need. A thermocouple puts out only a few millivolts. The TEC's use a large number of them wired in series. probably why they cost what they do.
    Actually a thermal couple's out put is usually in microvolts