Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Right under my nose this whole time

ya know, a more efficient use of the heat would be a steam turbine generator.
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

Riddler250 Guest
    The cool thing about thermopiles is that they can be used anywhere. I just wish they were more efficient. maybe i will just get a solar panel to trickle charge my batteries. Wont be able to run my house, but maybe a small heater for a day or two if power goes out in the winter. I still like thermocouples, you just have to remember that 5% is better than 0%

Quote Originally Posted by resago View Post
    ya know, a more efficient use of the heat would be a steam turbine generator.
    Ever heard of a tri-generation plant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogeneration

Trigeneration or combined cooling, heat and power (CCHP) refers to the simultaneous generation of electricity and useful heating and cooling from the combustion of a fuel or a solar heat collector.

http://www.clarke-energy.com/gas-engines/trigeneration/

I have heard of methods of salvaging heat from waste water to heat water for bathing, using cross-flow heat exchangers and small heat pumps.

Had wondered if the same thing might be done with the hot air exhausted from a clothes drier, preheating dry incoming air, and maybe use a heat pump to salvage even more heat. Sounds a bit complicated, but I wonder about the gains in efficiency.