Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: drawing 15 amps-Blowing 30 amp fuse

try replacing the fuseblock with an automotive breaker.
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

water4gasinstaller Guest

The Heat would also increase amps!

Our own personal experience as our design of our Hydrogen units as well from 5 amps will go to 12amps in hot operational unit.

The best is to have a clamp amp meter to measure when you are half journey when its hot to see how high it is. it is best to start a low amp first.

as the unit drawing too much amps will hurt both your alternator and battery and wires in the long run

jcbarton Guest
    is electrical tape a good thing to use to mummy wrap? If not what is best to use? What are the adavantages of the mummy wrap? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcbarton View Post
    is electrical tape a good thing to use to mummy wrap? If not what is best to use? What are the adavantages of the mummy wrap? Thanks
    Electrical tape will slide away from itself as it heats up... makes a gooey mess.

Cut up an old bicycle innertube and hold it in place with zip ties.

The idea is to reduce current leaking from the edges of the plates. However, since you have to leave the top and bottom of the plate edges exposed, it will still perform less efficient than a dry cell design.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!

Mine was pulling between 18-22 amps with a 30A fuse. It blew after about 20 minutes ( I was using 12GA wire). The wire itself was warm and near the fuse holder was really hot. The hotter wire gets the more resistance it causes in the circuit. Therefore drawing more current the hotter it gets. I adjusted the electrolyte to draw closer to 14-15A and has been working fine. If you want to use you might see where your wire is getting hot and maybe upsize the wire.

wcorless Guest

Fuse blowing

I had a similar situation. My cell was sometimes contacting the ground of the chassis while driving and shorting out the positive. This could also be the cause of the fuse blowing.
    It also could be that your clamp on meter isn't reading the actual amps, the fuse blows when it reaches it's threshold.
    Try putting an amp meter with a shunt directly on the wiring and see if there is a difference in the reading between this and your clamp on meter.
    I have found that there usually is a difference.