Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried steam

RMForbes Guest

Has anyone tried steam

I have been doing research about different ways to produce hydrogen and have found that some companies are getting very good results using the waste heat from the engines exhaust to produce hydrogen gas from different fuel sources. It makes sense to me that it would require much less energy to break the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen from steam than water. Running steam through a magnetic field or a series of charged plates should produce far more gas than brute force electrolysis. By running the steam/gas mixture through a condenser any water can be sent back through again and the gases would be cooled enough for use.

I was wondering if anyone else here was experimenting along these lines.

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Not here... at least not in my garage. Steam is hot and I don't have any asbestos underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by RMForbes View Post
    I have been doing research about different ways to produce hydrogen and have found that some companies are getting very good results using the waste heat from the engines exhaust to produce hydrogen gas from different fuel sources. It makes sense to me that it would require much less energy to break the bonds between hydrogen and oxygen from steam than water. Running steam through a magnetic field or a series of charged plates should produce far more gas than brute force electrolysis. By running the steam/gas mixture through a condenser any water can be sent back through again and the gases would be cooled enough for use.

I was wondering if anyone else here was experimenting along these lines.
    My experience with steam is wasted energy.I don't think you'll find anything useful that would contribute to mpg gains.

You might want to check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-te...e_electrolysis
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

RMForbes Guest
    I think some of you are misunderstanding my point. If you run steam through a magnetic field or around charged plates you can produce much more H2 and O2 gas because the molecular bonds are much weaker in steam than from water. This is part of the concept behind GEET and the pre-ignition catalytic converter being marketed by Dutchman. Yes, you would need to cool it back down before injecting it into the intake. Running the steam through a condenser after the gases are disassociated would cool the gases and condense and recover any left over water vapor.

This may not be practical for the home builders but maybe an idea that can be explored by the more advanced members of this forum. This seems to be the direction that the industry is moving.

Quote Originally Posted by RMForbes View Post
    I think you all are misunderstanding my point. If you run steam through a magnetic field or around charged plates you can produce much more H2 and O2 gas because the molecular bonds are much weaker in steam than from water. This is part of the concept behind GEET and the pre-ignition catalytic converter being marketed by Dutchman. Yes, you would need to cool it back down before injecting it into the intake. Running the steam through a condenser after the gases are disassociated would cool the gases and condense and recover any left over water vapor.

This may not be practical for the home builders but maybe an idea that can be explored by the more advanced members of this forum. This seems to be the direction that the industry is moving.

Do you have any docs or links where you found this?I'd like to see more info on this technology.

Riddler250 Guest
    I think it would take a high concentration of steam for the electrical current to pass through. The water molecules are farther apart in steam and current doesn't go through air very well. By it is possible. Maybe not that efficient but 2 percent (just throwing a number out there) is better than wasting it

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler250 View Post
    I think it would take a high concentration of steam for the electrical current to pass through. The water molecules are farther apart in steam and current doesn't go through air very well. By it is possible. Maybe not that efficient but 2 percent (just throwing a number out there) is better than wasting it
    How about inverting the current to a high enough voltage for it to jump the gap between two plates?

RMForbes Guest
    Actually the voltage can be higher but you do not want any chance of an arc (can you say BOOOM!). The magnetic attraction force is what splits the gases and since the steam is in a much more active state than liquid water, the bonds break many times easier. In GEET systems they use permanent magnets. The energy required is constant but using waste heat energy the electrical energy input can be greatly reduced and still generate more hydrogen and oxygen gas.

That's a good point... so, move the plates inside the cylinders and produce an arc

Just joking... if we could get that to work we'd have the water fuel spark plug!

Funnily enough, I've just been reading some pages about the geet type devices. Very interesting.