Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone tried steam

I would only fill the bottle about 1/5-1/4 of the way to try and avoid non-vaporized water to the engine. Also, it seems that maybe a sponge/air stone combination in this setup would be best as the sponge will aid in wicking.

scratch the brake booster line. that'd be a vacuum leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I put together a water injection using an aquarium airstone and a coffee jar. I used some thin diameter tubing and ran it right up next to the throttle body. Didn't look like it was pulling any water vapour though.

Thinking maybe we need a venturi of some sort?
    I did this ona a 70 GTO once and it kept the engine and exhaust clean. Didn't have to blow it out as much. It worked to keep the engine clean including your valaes in a carburated engine. But personally these new cars?

The airstone idea I mentioned earlier is a decent idea, but... this one is better and makes more sense.

http://web.hometel.com/~tron/

Basically, this is what it takes:

Gonna give it a go via the pcv line tomorrow.

Maybe I am wrong but I haven given alot of thought to electrolizing steam. Here is the problem I can't seem to overcome in my mind. We all have to add something to distilled water to make elecrticity flow and make HHO. The way you distill water is to boil it and collect steam and let it condense into water. That said steam is nothing but hot distilled water and would not conduct electricity. Anything you would measure would be only water vapor and not help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Maybe I am wrong but I haven given alot of thought to electrolizing steam. Here is the problem I can't seem to overcome in my mind. We all have to add something to distilled water to make elecrticity flow and make HHO. The way you distill water is to boil it and collect steam and let it condense into water. That said steam is nothing but hot distilled water and would not conduct electricity. Anything you would measure would be only water vapor and not help at all.
    Yep, you would have some issues trying to electrolyze steam. Seems it might take to AC voltage better than DC voltage. I could be wrong, but it also seems that the arcing potential would be extraordinarily high.

Finally got this going this weekend.

I decided to use some of the wasted heat from the radiator hose and fans to help evaporate the 50/50 alcohol/water mixture. The hose is running very close to the throttle body with a fitting that is straight, but has an angular end inside the intake tube facing the throttle body to aid in suction.

RMForbes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Yes, you are wrong. It's not really the electricity that disassociates the hydrogen and oxygen gases. It's the magnetic field. The plates are charged, the anode is positve and the cathode is negative. The anode attracts the oxygen and the cathode attracts the hydrogen causing the gases to split. Since the steam already has absorbed heat energy less electrical energy is required to produce a magnetic field strong enough to split the gases. Therefore, there is no need for electrolyte added to the steam for our purposes. If you were trying to produce pure hydrogen then you would need to use a catalytic element to the plates (see Wiki Steam Electrolysis).