Thread: Jim's First HHO Attempt

Jimbo61 Guest

Jim's First HHO Attempt

Hello,
    Been monitoring this forum for a while and I finally put together my 1st HHO Generator. That being said the design is pretty much a Smacks Booster, but a little different plate configuration. I am using 4 inch PVC with the standard PVC end caps, one glued on, the other is a screw on.

The plate configuration I am using is laid out like this...

Neg,Spacer, Neutral, Spacer,Neutral, Spacer,Neutral, Spacer,Neutral, Spacer,Neutral, Spacer,POS. 7 Plates in all.
    The cell will hold approx 60 oz. of distilled water.
    I am using baking soda as the electrolyte.

First attempt I used 1.5 tblsp of baking soda and got only a few bubbles in a pail of water. I started to increase the baking soda until I had a steady output. I finally stopped at about 6 tblsp in the 60 oz water.
    I have a 20 fuse in line so I would have an idea about when the amp draw was getting high, but it never blew. running it about 15 min straight the internal temp of the solution was only lukewarm.
    The measured output would only get me about .3 liter of gas per min.

When I watch the unit produce gas, I see gas only from the NEG plate, the first one next to it, and the POS plate. Nothing from the middle plates.

At this point I think I am going to have to try a different plate configuration to get any more output.
    Open to sugustions...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo61 View Post
    Neg,Spacer, Neutral, Spacer,Neutral, Spacer,Neutral, Spacer,Neutral, Spacer,Neutral, Spacer,POS. 7 Plates in all.
    How many volts are you running through that config and what size is the gap between plates? The five neutral setup is perfect for 13.5-14 volts but will not produce so well at 12v and below.

If your gap is big, more than 1/16", you will need more electrolyte for it to produce. Dropping to a smaller gap will boost production.

Welcome to being bitten by the HHO bug
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Jimbo61 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    How many volts are you running through that config and what size is the gap between plates? The five neutral setup is perfect for 13.5-14 volts but will not produce so well at 12v and below.

If your gap is big, more than 1/16", you will need more electrolyte for it to produce. Dropping to a smaller gap will boost production.

Welcome to being bitten by the HHO bug
    Thanks for the responce.
    The plates are closer to 1/8'' spacing.Was thinking 6 tblsp of baking soda was a bit too much so will reduce the spacing to 1/16'' and see if the production improves.
    I did not check the voltage. Need to pick up a Volt meter this week.
    Just ran a 1st test of the unit by using jumper cables of my cars battery while running.