Thread: Lead Substitute

redneckgearhead34 Guest

Lead Substitute

I was at Wal-mart and I saw this stuff called Lead Substitute. It is added to the fuel. I dont really know what it is used for, I googled it and I think it is used to protect the valves on vehicles that are old enough to burn leaded gas.

I was wondering, would this increase my mpg any?

Riddler250 Guest
    I think its just an additive so older cars can just pour it in when they fill up with unleaded. I had a old t-bird that used leaded gas, we had to buy an additive to mix with it

Smith03Jetta Guest
    Old cars have hard valve seats that needed Lead in the gasoline to help keep them sealed. New cars have softer metal on the valve seats. They no longer need lead additive. The Old cars that used Lead put out a lot of polution (Brain Damaged Kids).

People that have old cars but have not yet done a valve job to modernize their cars still have to put Lead Additive in their tanks. Since Lead is illegal to use they have this substitute stuff that works.

It will not do anything to help your gas mileage unless you are driving a model T.

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    Thanks, I was just wondering. Maybe this could be the secret :

Smith03Jetta Guest
    What on earth makes you think that this lead substitute would make a difference?

redneckgearhead34 Guest
    idk I think it looks cool