Thread: choke - toroid coil

choke - toroid coil

would using a choke or toroid coil not be a good idea to limit peak current draw with a pwm?
    1982 MB 300D Turbo Diesel 90%WVO/10%RUG + additives blend. $.50/gal
    don't know what MPG is, probly low 20s

Question

no????????

Quote Originally Posted by resago View Post
    would using a choke or toroid coil not be a good idea to limit peak current draw with a pwm?
    I think the application of toroidal coil and chokes are for high voltage systems.Besides the coil itself is very difficult to construct in making the windings equally spaced and must wound to match the load-inmpedance of the cells you want to drive.Windings are very time consuming with some having up to 2000 windings for one core.
    I guess the short version is just to use the regular pwms if you think you need one.

check this one out

(CPW) 61-64036

http://www.surplussales.com/Transfor...owerChk-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by resago View Post
    The chokes aren't the hard part,you can get them through Radio Shack,the toroidal coil is where the real money comes in.They have to built better than military standards to work in this application,and to have a professional build one for you would run in the thousands.

I'm in no way trying to discourage you because about a year ago I looked into trying the same set up.The acual design requires a hefty education in electronics not to mention a thick wallet.I would love to be able to produce this type set up but after studying what it would take to do so was beyond my knowledge and bank funds.It's said the production of this system is capable of 50 lpm with short bursts of over 100 lpm,and that's what caught my eye when first looking into it.But after seeing what it takes to get there is what discouraged me.