Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Potassium for water softeners?

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Hack! View Post
    I am curious to find out what will happen. hg2 - please do try it and let us know.

I know that with some hydroxides, once you break down the molecule it will combine with other hydrogen and oxygen atoms to reform itself. Others break down and form different molecules altogether. The test here would be that if you get calcium deposits then you know that the Calcium Hydroxide molecule is not reforming back into itself. This would mean that over time you would have to replace the electrolyte as well as clean the plates.
    Sure no problem my cell is due for it's quarterly cleaning and e-lyte change soon.Regarding calcium deposits forming,as long as they don't form quickly I don't see a problem with it.Since the I installed my hho system over a year ago every 3 months or so I remove it from the truck for cleaning and inspection,along with a fresh change of KOH.If the calcium didn't cause me to have to do this much sooner and gives me about the same performance as the KOH,this would be a huge savings seeing as the calcium costs around $8 for a 50 LB. bag.

We'll see what happens when I test it and hopefully the results will be favorable.

calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 mixed with water makes lime water !

lime water exposed to air produces carbon dioxide (CO2) + calcium carbonate

Ca(OH)2 + O2 = CO2 + CaCO3

so there is a hydrogen loose in there somewhere but it looks like you get a deposit of calcium carbonate

Quote Originally Posted by cully View Post
    calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 mixed with water makes lime water !

lime water exposed to air produces carbon dioxide (CO2) + calcium carbonate

Ca(OH)2 + O2 = CO2 + CaCO3

so there is a hydrogen loose in there somewhere but it looks like you get a deposit of calcium carbonate
    If it's loose maybe I can corral it and put it to good use LOL.