Thread: Potassium for water softeners?

Lithium
    sodium
    potassium
    rubidium
    caesium
    francium

they are all alkaline metals they all react with water

lithium is in your watch battery it reacts with air in the cell to produce the cell voltage.

sodium is used in discharge lights mainly street lights (orange glow)

potassium is used to reduce blood pressure in medicines

rubidium
    caesium
    francium these are radio active and are used by the nuclear industry to produce electricity

Has anyone tried Calcium Hydroxide or Hydrated lime? Some on another forum were thinking of trying it but haven't seen any one post results yet.

quote From Wikipedia

A suspension of fine calcium hydroxide particles in water is called milk of lime.
    The solution is called lime water and is a medium strength base that reacts violently with acids and attacks many metals in presence of water.

Do you think 316 L stainless would be affected by it?

Calcium Hydroxide Chemical Compatibility with Stainless Steel 304 (B-Good) Steel 316 (B-Good)

B = Good. Minor Effect, slight corrosion or discoloration.

info found here

Quote Originally Posted by cully View Post
    Calcium Hydroxide Chemical Compatibility with Stainless Steel 304 (B-Good) Steel 316 (B-Good)

B = Good. Minor Effect, slight corrosion or discoloration.

info found here
    Doesn't seem to be any more harsh than NaOh according to that chart.Btw good info Cully thanks.

looking around it looks like Calcium Hydroxide (ph12.5) is less alkaline than potassium hydroxide (ph14)

looking around it looks like Calcium Hydroxide (ph12.5) is less alkaline than potassium hydroxide (ph14)

I wonder how much affect that would have on the amp draw.Maybe on my next maintainance on my generator for cleaning and e-lyte change I'll try the Calcium Hydroxide and see what effect it has regarding amp draw.Seeing as it won't damage my plates any more than NaOh which I've used before last year when I first built the generator.

im wondering wether you would get a deposit of calcium on the plates !

but im unshure

im wondering wether you would get a deposit of calcium on the plates !

but im unshure
    I am curious to find out what will happen. hg2 - please do try it and let us know.

I know that with some hydroxides, once you break down the molecule it will combine with other hydrogen and oxygen atoms to reform itself. Others break down and form different molecules altogether. The test here would be that if you get calcium deposits then you know that the Calcium Hydroxide molecule is not reforming back into itself. This would mean that over time you would have to replace the electrolyte as well as clean the plates.
    --
    Some days I get the sinking feeling that Orwell was an optimist!