Thread: Intresting Development

Intresting Development

33.9mpg Serria 5.3l fi

Had the front end alined Tuesday after putting on tie rod ends the prior weekend. Computer had 4 codes in memory for emmisions. After reading about blocking off the air intake this past 2 weeks I decided to try it. Oops I forgot to install the HHO system, restriction was a total failure, no wonder, removed the restricter. I did remove all the codes before the restricted test run. Yesterday I just happened to noticed the scann gauge was reading oddly high numbers for the MPG in present time feature. Needed gas before heading to the shore tonight, filled her up, reset the scann gauge, away we went. Oddly high numbers on the way down the Garden State Parkway. Total distance of 128 miles with an average MPG of 33.9..... it's never been over 18 mpg average before. Temp never went over 200 deg. MAF sensor seemed the same and the timming seemed normal also.

Anyone care to guess what's going on??

I'll look under the hood in the morning. Did one of you guys install a HHO system while I was sleeping? Good Job.

HHOinKY Guest
    So you're saying that by resetting your ECU you're getting 33.9 mpg?

Computer error maybe?

M Bell Guest

Error

If you still have the maf/map and or effie on, the readings that your scanguage are giving are bogus. It determines milage by taking the readings from those sensors. If you have them faked out you get a fake milage reading.

I have no idea what is happening or why. I just stated what I did. The gas gauge confirms that I have only used about 1/8 of a tank of gasoline to go 128 miles. No smoke and mirrors here I'm just puzzled. No modifications at all here, no efie, map or maf tweeks.

WENT THROUGH THE SCANN GAUGE SETTINGS AND EVERYTHING IS AS IT WAS. Just took a 40 mph ride into town 5.3 miles and the gauge says I'm getting 33.2 mpg.

I'd really like the help of a tec here. When I get home I'll hook the truck up to my computer scanner and see if any codes have come up.

Haywire Haywood Guest
    Time to fill up, run a tank and do the math. Then you'll know if you're getting false readings.

Ian