Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Injection Thread

Spicerman,

You should consider not just the engine RPM, but also the speed of the vehicle and the additional load on the engine from actually moving the vehicle. Not to mention drag and other factors that make will increase engine load. Heck, just putting the transmission into gear and accelerating drastically increases engine load. So with these facts taken into consideration, the engine is certainly taking in considerably more air at 2000 RPM on the highway than when it's just revving at 2000 RPM in park.

My setup doesn't start to pull air through till about 1,500 RPM, but my redline is 7000 RPM. <-- vtec. My last MPG rating in ****ty Dallas traffic (at least 50% in-town stop and go or bumper to bumper) was 36. Still excellent considering I would usually get 28 MPG. I vary from 25 - 35% fuel efficiency increase from my experience over the past month.

A good note to pass on to everyone is try to get the bubbles as small as possible in a very large amount for the best vaporization. I am still pondering what may work better than a hydrophilic sponge while not being too restrictive. Ideas are certainly welcome.

I rebuilt it today out of a smaller container. It bubbles very little at idle,almost nothing, just a few bubbles, when I hit the gas (1000 to 2200rpms) it bubbles very well, when I stomp on it (2200 to 4000) it really flairs up the bubbles to the top of the bottle. I had it to big. there was to much air inside the tube that was obsorbing all the negitive pressure. Now that I have it in a smaller bottle it works perfect. I even made a vid. here ya go.
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Helz,

Great job with your setup. Good God when you blipped the throttle the last time in that video the water flew all over the place. Are you using any sort of sponge at the bottom of the water reservoir. The system looks to be working perfectly except I am concerned that you may end up drawing too much water. I could be wrong, but the solution to that is pretty simple and just requires either adjusting the Venturi taper up a bit or you could restrict the WVI input line.

Either way, great job and hopefully you will start seeing some MPG gains.

yea ive got this very porous stuff in the bottom. I think it some type of dust filter for something, but it was around a 1" pipe and it slid off, so it has a hole down the center and its about 3"OD and an inch thick and 5 inches long. no clue what it is are where it came from. I found it in my garage and it works better then a sponge. I did buy a nice porous spounge but this works better because its made out of some type of plastic. next time i take it apart Ill film putting it back to gether.
    as far as getting to much water, thats the reason I wanted to make it taller so it didnt pull in straight water, only fumes. So a rebuild is inevitable. I just have to find a place for it. my car has no space under the hood. but it works fine for now because I opened the venturi up a 1/4".
    The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?
    www.hhounderground.com

Helz,
    Did you make and instal your own Venturi?

yes I did. what I did was take a cheap-o cone funnel and trimmed the outer part to fit snug a few inches before the throttle body, then I cut the small end to open up to 1 3/8". look at my diagram and you can see the funnel. it works great.
    www.hhounderground.com

Helz...
    Great work!!! My wife came to see what I was doing and watched your video. She said "His looks more professional". She has been looking at all my experimental plastic bottles for the last year. But she liked it! So I said "can I do your car?"......"NOOOO!!!

How do you fill it? If you put both tubes off to the side of the lid you could easily take it off.
    Idea: If you run a third tube into the container, and extend it down to where you want the water level to be.
    Then run the other end of the tube into a "refill container" Have the refill container at the same level or lower (positionally) Low enough so it wont siphon.
    When the water level in the WVI canister drops below the refill tube opening the vacuum will draw water in from the refill container.
    When the water level gets high enough it will cover the end of the refill tube and refill will stop. (pressure balance???)
    Think it will work ?????

Yea man, thats sounds like it might work. Ide need to see a diagram and I could tell you. I took my system out and rebuilt it a bit so its longer so its not sucking in water when the foam got so high. it works great at 2000 rpms which is what I run at hightway speeds (2000 to 2200) and it startes bubbling at about 1500 RPM now under load. I put it in park and rev the engine now to get a better feel of hows its acting under the hood when i cant see it. Here is a vid of it up where you can see it. Ide really like to see your refill idea, Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out how to have a gallon of water somewhere that would refill it automaticly. as of right now I jsut unhook the hose thats plugged into the low negitive ressure side and stick in in a glass of water/alcohol and let it fill about 5 inches up.

www.hhounderground.com

There is some interesting ideas within this thread. Its important to note about water/methanol injection that methonal is different fromm ethanol, (everclear). you probably already know this. another is the 150 psi pumps used to properly atomize the methanol. 50/50 is the best mix, the U.S. and Nazis both figured it out for fiter jets in WWII. The water cools the combustion chamber, allowing to make more power. for better MPG you need to lean the fuel. The best part is it can decrease nitrogen oxide emissions.

A very interesting thing i found was this ...

"Many military aircraft engines of the 1940s utilized a pressure carburetor, a type of fuel metering system similar to a throttle body injection system. In a water-injected engine, the pressure carburetor features a mechanical derichment valve which makes the system nearly automatic. When the pilot turns on the water injection pump, water pressure moves the derichment valve to restrict fuel flow to lean the mixture while at the same time mixing the water/methanol fluid in to the system. When the system runs out of fluid the derichment valve shuts and cuts off the water injection system, while enrichening the fuel mixture to provide a cooling quench to prevent sudden detonation." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)

Quote Originally Posted by slade420 View Post
    There is some interesting ideas within this thread. Its important to note about water/methanol injection that methonal is different fromm ethanol, (everclear). you probably already know this. another is the 150 psi pumps used to properly atomize the methanol. 50/50 is the best mix, the U.S. and Nazis both figured it out for fiter jets in WWII. The water cools the combustion chamber, allowing to make more power. for better MPG you need to lean the fuel. The best part is it can decrease nitrogen oxide emissions.

A very interesting thing i found was this ...

"Many military aircraft engines of the 1940s utilized a pressure carburetor, a type of fuel metering system similar to a throttle body injection system. In a water-injected engine, the pressure carburetor features a mechanical derichment valve which makes the system nearly automatic. When the pilot turns on the water injection pump, water pressure moves the derichment valve to restrict fuel flow to lean the mixture while at the same time mixing the water/methanol fluid in to the system. When the system runs out of fluid the derichment valve shuts and cuts off the water injection system, while enrichening the fuel mixture to provide a cooling quench to prevent sudden detonation." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engines)
    great info. before they started doing the water injection, and also the reason they started it, was when they would fly close to the surface of the ocean they had a farther range on a tank of fuel, they thought it was due to the water vapor near the surface of the ocean, they were right
    www.hhounderground.com