Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Water Injection Thread

I had taken one of the bronze filters (the one in the container that produced less bubbles) from a bubbler i had used some weeks ago in a hho bench setup. I've always used distilled water in my bubblers but in this one I had used tap water. As you know when tap water sits for some days in a container the water becomes yellowish and if you let it sit longer you begin to see green stuff floating. Well I hadn't used this bubbler for some weeks but the water looked transparent and clean so I decided to take off the bronze thing and use it on one of the wvi containers.

Today I thoroughly inspected the thing and looked perfectly fine such as the other one installed in the other container, which is brand new. Then I used a magnifying glass.............................

the thing had a very thin film of some green stuff all over. microorganisms or who knows what??

anyway 10 more of these are on the way

ANOTHER THING.. decided to test the two wvi containers in driving conditions. Static testing does not throw accurate results as there is no load on the engine, also I believe bubble production has more to do with throttle position instead rpm. Also I wanted to be able to see the containers when driving and through the whole rpm range. SO... today I routed the hoses through a grommet in the passenger side floor, hocked up the containers and was able to see everything all the time while in the driving seat. Then took it for a ride. I got to tell you.. I was amazed at what I was watching. these things (both of them, although you could still notice less production in one of them) began bubbling like crazy at 1,500 RPM.. then at 2,000 RPM you got some brutal bubbling out of these things.. really furious demeanor. I'll see if I can manage to make a video without getting killed in the process.

Next test, hook up another container so it will make three of them.. who knows..

Just posting a failed experiment... Did some road testing yesterday with my small aircraft venturi. I designed and fabricated an adapter to fit a nozzle inside the venturi in the low pressure area. I then connected a water tank and hose to the fitting. My theory was that the venturi would draw enough vacuum to create a water mist. Didn't work out that way. I held the venturi/adapter out of the window at 65 mph with the tank at the same level. (Someone else drove). The best I got out of it was a spray of big dropplets, about 1/8 inch or so. Not the fine mist I was hoping for. Then I put a pump between the venturi and tank. Another road test hanging out of the window. The pump and venturi gave me a solid stream of water, almost like squirting water from a garden hose but a lot smaller.

This venturi would work well inside an intake duct to draw mist from a fogger or bubbler though. Just does not work well to atomize water on it's own.
    Red Rat

livehho,

Where are you drawing your vacuum off of in your vehicle. Looks like you are getting a TON of bubbles even at low RPMs. Also as a question in general for anyone to answer. I was thinking that a larger engine would create more of a vacuum than a small engine. Is my thinking correct or would vacuum be equal in any engine?

Quote Originally Posted by fastcompacts View Post
    livehho,

Where are you drawing your vacuum off of in your vehicle. Looks like you are getting a TON of bubbles even at low RPMs. Also as a question in general for anyone to answer. I was thinking that a larger engine would create more of a vacuum than a small engine. Is my thinking correct or would vacuum be equal in any engine?
    Vacuum would be relative to the airflow volume measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM). In my case, I have found that the two 32oz bottles together are too much for my 1.6 L engine, but maybe on a large v6 or v8 the vacuum would be just right.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcompacts View Post
    livehho,

Where are you drawing your vacuum off of in your vehicle?
    check out Stevo's diagram at the beginning of the thread

How Much H2O Is Enough? (or too much?)

I've tried the vacuum inducted H2O method, and didn't have a great deal of success with it, so I have taken another approach to H2O injection.
    I am in the process of configuring a water injection setup utilizing a pump and atomizing nozzle in the intake. It is set up to turn on at a vacuum reading relative to about 3/4 throttle - I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on how much H2O to strive for (in terms of GPH or ML/min) as I don't want to over-do it. My pump puts out about 15 psi, but I can regulate the actual output with the nozzle I select. I've seen some of the performance oriented systems that turn on only at FULL throttle, and put out about 5 GPH worth of mist - I'm trying to achieve a more MPG oriented approach, incorporating a wider range of operation but don't want to drown my 2.2L 4cyl. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by jm3000x View Post
    I've tried the vacuum inducted H2O method, and didn't have a great deal of success with it, so I have taken another approach to H2O injection.
    I am in the process of configuring a water injection setup utilizing a pump and atomizing nozzle in the intake. It is set up to turn on at a vacuum reading relative to about 3/4 throttle - I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on how much H2O to strive for (in terms of GPH or ML/min) as I don't want to over-do it. My pump puts out about 15 psi, but I can regulate the actual output with the nozzle I select. I've seen some of the performance oriented systems that turn on only at FULL throttle, and put out about 5 GPH worth of mist - I'm trying to achieve a more MPG oriented approach, incorporating a wider range of operation but don't want to drown my 2.2L 4cyl. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    Have you considered base ignition timing and octane ratings? Is the car OBDII or I? You need a fine mist and it probably will work best if it is variably distributed according to engine load. It's really hard to state how much water is too much until you have achieved some sort of gain on your vehicle.

MPG report

Stock: 19.5 mpg
    Stevo WVI: 22.5 mpg

Quote Originally Posted by jm3000x View Post
    Some commercial misters for big V8s put out up to 5 GPH.

I wonder how well will 15 PSI be able to atomize water? You might just be able to get a dribble or a sprinkle instead of mist. Snow brand WVI units put out 150 PSI to get a mist.
    When you're one step ahead of the crowd you're a genius.
    When you're two steps ahead, you're a crackpot."