Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Foaming Agent

dennis13030 Guest

Anti-Foaming Agent

Has anyone tried using a anti-foaming agent(like Gas-X) within the electrolite mix? Results?

It seems that you could get usable HHO gas faster if it was not stored in the form of foam/froth inside the electrolyzer.

Not something I have even thought of..lol. The question would be, what would happen to the foaming agent once mixed with other chemicals and applied electricity. I dont have alot of foam problems with NaOH. I did notice that baking soda foams alot when I was messing around with it a few weeks back.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Foaming is only a minor inconvenience AFAIK, as long as your electrodes are submerged fully.

volomike Guest
    Seems like a plausible idea and something to test fairly easily with the scientific method. The idea being that you want the rest of the unlifted gas to lift out of the water rather than remain there.

But also think about this. Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate. A Gas-X pill is Calcium Carbonate. Perhaps this means something significant to someone with knowledge of chemistry if you ask around on the web.

Calcium carbonate may work as a catalyst by itself.
    2006 Ram, 5.9 cummins HO. 4 cell design, 1.5 LPM@30amp, 24.3 MPG

Ronjinsan Guest
    I would think that the foam which we are dealing with, contrary to being a detergent foam which can be dissipated would probably not be easy to get rid of due to its being a gas and probably not affected by the same conditions!

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratous View Post
    Calcium carbonate may work as a catalyst by itself.
    This may be true. However I would use only a very small amounts because the calcium part may cloud and dirty the electrolyte over time.

My understanding is that it works by reducing surface tension.

geobushono Guest

anti-foaming agent

there is an anti-foaming agent that you add to hot tubs.it really works for that, however I don't know what it is, or how it will interact with the cell.

punkdgeek Guest
    Wouldn't something simple, like a fuel filter attached to the output help with the foaming problem?

Omega Guest
    I would imagine a very fine mesh screen would do the job. It would also minimize splashing and wave action in the HHO generator.