Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Foaming Agent

dennis13030 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1973dodger View Post
    ...I have used both tums as well as a non-foaming agent used in hot tubs, The non foaming agent gives me the best results without any loss in amperage, about a teaspoon / gallon, no residue either...
    What is the primary ingredient in the non foaming agent you used??

1973dodger Guest
    Dennis,

I'm not sure. I bought it at wal-mart, the name is "Spa Time" anti-foaming agent. Their web site is www.spatimeproducts.com.

1973dodger

Quote Originally Posted by HYDROTEKPRO View Post
    ONE or TWO drops of regular diesel fuel in the electrolyte works great as an anti-foaming agent.

That's all you need. Just ONE or TWO drops!

It even has a lingering effect, so far in our testing, only one application per vessel is necessary. When the electrolyzer is emptied, rinsed, and refilled with new electrolyte, foaming is still gone. Even after a few dozen cycles like this!!
    hi HYDROTEKPRO,

this method sounds great indeed. i'll give it a try.

have you used it for longer periods? no side effects?

I posted a video on YouTube about the Hot Tub Foam Disperser as well as another interesting thing I discovered about the foam coming from the dry cell. The foam disperser will kill all the foam in your reservoir but it will still come out of the cell. Check out the video to see what I tried:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0gTi...e=channel_page

Another concept I need to try is cleaning the plates much better before assembly. I have talked to a few people who soak their plates in various solutions to remove any possible oils or residues and they claim to not have any foam.

iiapoxii Guest
    what solution were they using? i was thinking like some kind of mild acid, or pure alcohol to get the grease from fingers and other residues. this would insure the best possible contact to the liquid.

Stealth_NT Guest
    At my 1st cell attemp I didnt put to much attention to the plates cleaning, so I asambly the cell... I can say w/o cleaning. Result's tons of foam...

At my 2nd attemp I clean very well with Thinner (I not sure if you call that in the same way like in my country but is the liquid the ppl normally use for mix the paints) Once a time I was really sure my plates was clean I have no foam troubles anymore at all.

Seems the cleaning fo the plaste's is very important. I just use KOH anda destiled water on a 7 plates dry cell.

Atm im using 2 tsp of koh on 2 lt of water I will test with more and see what happen

Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    Has anyone tried using a anti-foaming agent(like Gas-X) within the electrolite mix? Results?

It seems that you could get usable HHO gas faster if it was not stored in the form of foam/froth inside the electrolyzer.
    Maybe tums would work for a catalyst?

PS
    However I ran across this little info today and mind started thinking for HHO well at first I thought this is silly but upon thinking about it a little it just might be worth looking in to. http://www.veavideo.com/teachersNotes/ACTIO01.PDF

is there actually any answers for anything on this site, i mean no disrespect but i read nothing but "questions", "maybe's" or "perhaps this might work"
    is there anybody on this forum thats got any confirmed experience with catalysts ? if anybody does, im simply wondering if anybody knows exactly 1. whats better, potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide
    2. where can i buy it locally
    3. and exactly (or even approx) how much do i mix in per ltr of water

Brendon,
    In my experience, the best is KOH. I always use a 28% solution in my reactors. To acheive this, I mix 3lbs. of 93% Potassium Hydroxide flakes with 1 gal. distilled water. As far as purchasing it 'locally', I wish I had an answer. All of mine is purchased over E-Bay.
    DON'T use 'drain cleaners'. They contain all kinds of crap that you don't want in your system.
    Hope this helps somewhat.
    Lee
    1998 Explorer 4x4, 4.0
    14 cell / 2 stack 6x9" drycell reactor 28%KOH dual EFIE, MAF enhancer, IAT & ECT controllers, 2.4 LPM @ 30 amps. 6.35 MMW http://reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum/index.php

Hello,

I don't know the first thing about HHO and all this stuff, but I'm intrigued by it and want to contribute if possible.

Anti-foaming agents:
    Simethicone comes to mind as an excellent anti-foaming agent
    Invitrogen sells FoamAway for $150/500 mL
    Sigma sells Simethicone solution (cat # 10794) $40/100 mL (you need about 5 mL per 50 L, so it's plenty, also it will just stay in the tank)

If those lab suppliers are out of your reach, you can also purchase Infacol which is a de-gasser for infants, and which contains 40 mg/mL simethicone

FoamAway is 30 mg/mL Simethicone, so Infacol should work just perfectly as a replacement, however it will also have a bunch of other buffer salts and coloring (shouldn't be a huge issue since you'll only need a few mL)

In the States, Mylicon is probably easier to get. Mylicon is even more concentrated (about 65 mg/mL) so you might need even less. Conveniently, it comes with a dropper. Available at any pharmacy/walmart/etc for about $10 a bottle of 30 mL.

Sigma Simethicone

Simethicone in action - VIDEO