Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bad 02 readings

retsofarik Guest
    In reguards to the o2 sensor, is wrapping them to contain the heat, fool the computer into a rich enviornment & make the pulse width of the injectors narrow by some nano seconds?

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by retsofarik View Post
    In reguards to the o2 sensor, is wrapping them to contain the heat, fool the computer into a rich enviornment & make the pulse width of the injectors narrow by some nano seconds?
    my personal opinion is to never wrap an o2 sensor... others may have a different opinion... it may fool the computer for a short time, but if its a 4-wire o2 sensor, you could overheat the heating element or overheat the reference air inside the unit... that, IMO would reduce the life of the unit... I wouldn't do it on a 4-wire o2 sensor...

my experience has only been on 4-wire sensors, so I have no opinion about 1, 2 or 3-wire sensors and I have no experience on 5-wire, but they get reference air from an outside source... so I don't know if those fool the same way... I'd think not...

Quote Originally Posted by retsofarik View Post
    The reason you wrap O2s is to keep them out of the exhaust flow.which is like using an O2 extender,but a bad way to do it.

HHOinKY Guest
    Might sound like a dumb question, but where do you hook your meter to on your 02 sensors? And can you have it hooked up and reading the meter while you're driving?

I guess you could hook the sensor to other wires and run the wires into your car and drive and read as you drive?

Mitch

P.S. This thread is helping me out alot. Keep it up. I'm sure others are benifiting from it greatly also.

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HHOinKY View Post
    Might sound like a dumb question, but where do you hook your meter to on your 02 sensors? And can you have it hooked up and reading the meter while you're driving?

I guess you could hook the sensor to other wires and run the wires into your car and drive and read as you drive?

Mitch

P.S. This thread is helping me out alot. Keep it up. I'm sure others are benifiting from it greatly also.
    the easiest and safest method is through the OBD port and using a computer you can log the data... that's what I do...

if you try it with a DMM, and have a 4-wire o2 sensor, the white wires are the heater element and depending on the make of car, one of the other wires is 5-volt from the ECU and the other is something less going to the ECU... the one that is usually less than 1-volt is the signal back to the ECU and that is the one you want to monitor...

I wouldn't suggest doing it with a DMM... it's going to be hard enough trying to figure a way to keep the wires attached and out of the way of the hot exhaust pipes, not to mention getting the meter in the car and being able to read and record numbers while you're driving, even if someone was helping...

most OBD to PC programs and devices have graphing and data logging that makes this a snap...

here is a how-to I did on another forum on the equipment I have...

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/t116796/

there are links to the software I use also...

if anyone wants to see how this stuff works, you are free to download the working demo of the software from their site and if you email me, I can send you a copy of one of my logs so you can play it back and see what you have the possibility of seeing from your own vehicle...

the log playback makes the software think it's actually connected to the car at the time of playback... the digital gauges work and all according to raw OBD data stored in the log...