Thread: what gauge plate...

Haywire Haywood Guest

what gauge plate...

For a dry cell... I was thinking 18. Will 20 be too thin?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire Haywood View Post
    For a dry cell... I was thinking 18. Will 20 be too thin?

Ian
    H H, I've got 16 ga. plates in in my 7 plate dry cell.Although I don't have any heat problems I wish I'd gone with 22ga. because the cost of 16 ga. was expensive.I've seen that a good number people using 22ga(and a little thinner) and have good luck with them.My plates measure 10x10 so you can imagine what they cost.

Haywire Haywood Guest
    I was worried about flex and the plates somehow shorting in the middle... Mine are going to be 7x7 and there's 18 of them. I think I'll go 20 ga.

thanks,
    Ian

I was worried about flex and the plates somehow shorting in the middle... Mine are going to be 7x7 and there's 18 of them. I think I'll go 20 ga.

thanks,
    Ian
    Did build the dry cell design called tero or other?

I've been using 20 and 22 gauge for all my dry cells. I haven't had a problem so far. I have a 7.5 x 10.5 cell I'm putting together now. I guess that will test to see if it will warp the plates.

Haywire Haywood Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hg2 View Post
    Did build the dry cell design called tero or other?
    I was looking at the tero, but decided on a different plate arrangement. If it comes together I'll post some pics.

Ian

thanks,
    Ian

How much do drums (musical drum) flex? We are really just making a kind of drum dont you think. I really dont see how plates in a sealed cell can flex much at all. Know matter how thin you make them. So IMO you could go very thin.

Im going with 24 guage = 0.020" for my etectrodes on my 6X6. And plain on experamenting with 0.010" nutral plates. 316L ss

Side question what does the "L" in 316L mean?

I was wondering if the thiner you go with N plates would the resistantnce go down, or the heat go up, or what?
    If we try to push 15 amps at 2.2 volts though a 0.02" N plate would it melt like a fuse?
    Is it the plates that generate heat or the water solution?
    Is there such thing as too thin to drop the voltage?

I cant seem to get my head around these things.