Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: no gains

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdude View Post
    Ok lets see. thread started from someone asking about their toyota. got hijacked by "know it all" now argument again about if hho works or not.

Honestly this guy must really not have a life. If im in the situation where no one is listening to me i honestly would pack my ish and leave. Its obvious your not convincing anyone around here with all your knowledge and is just wasting this sites bandwidth. Go join a automotive forum with all the other skeptics out there and talk about your crap.

We are here to exchange our ideas on our cell designs and whatnot. I'm not speaking for anyone else in this forum but you are getting really annoying now with this crap. Your like the virus on this site. Always has something negative to say.

Your here pleading to these people, im going to use your word 'scammers', that its not going to work. Ok you did your part let them learn from their mistakes if there are none. Just chill with all this please.

Heres the proof, either you prove me wrong, or shut your mouth: (I posted this earlier)

By passing an electrical current through water, you can break the bonds that hold the atoms of hydrogen and oxygen together in the form of a water molecule.

This is good science and is a process that has been known since the 1800s.

To break these bonds however, requires a significant amount of electrical energy that must come from somewhere. In the case of the RYCOW systems, this energy has to come from the vehicle's alternator and in most cases, that limits the amount of available power to around 0.75-1.0KW.

Of course that 1KW or so also has to recharge the vehicle's battery, power the ignition, headlights etc, and run the various other accessories that abound in a modern car or truck.

So it's safer to assume that only around 600W is always available for the electrolysis cell, which is a maximum of around 50 amps.

Now if we delve into some more good science we find this formula for Faraday's First Law:

Vtheoretical (in m3) = (R I T t) / (F p z)

Where R=8.3414 Joule/(mol Kelvin), I=current(in amps), T=temp in Kelvin, t=time (in seconds) F=Faraday's constant = 96485 Coulombs per mol, p=ambient pressure (pascals), z=num of excess electrons.

If we plug some numbers into this formula and do some simple conversions then the following results appear:

237.1KJ is required to convert 1 Mole of water (18g) to H2/O2

To convert 1 Mole of water to gas via electrolysis will reuire 237.1KJ of energy

1 litre of H2O produces 55.55 Moles of H2 (1,358.3l) and 27.775 Moles (679.15l) of O2 (for a total volume of 2037.45l of H2/O2)

To convert 1 litre of H2O to H2 and O2 by electrolysis will require 3.658KWH
    Of course all the above assumes a 100% efficiency and as we know this is simply not attainable with current materials and technology.

To get an idea as to how efficient the electrolysis process is when performed in a home-made electrolyser I found plenty of videos on YouTube where people proudly share their results.

This example is pretty typical so let's do the math:

12V x 40A ==> 480W

If we plug Faraday's First law into this figure, it suggest that in a 100% efficient cell we should be generating around 4.5 liters per minute of H2/O2 from 480W of electrical energy.

The cell in the YouTube video produces just 2.0 liters per minute, indicating an actual efficiency of around 44% - so we'll assume 50% efficiency for the rest of our calculations.

Now we need to take a look at some of the scientific research that demonstrates how hydrogen/oxygen enrichment can improve engine efficiency.

Now let's plug in some other figures and see if we can get a net-gain.

The engine in that paper was producing around 6.5HP at 1,500RPMs and needed 240 liters per hour (4 liters per minute) of H2/O2 gas.

An average auto engine will be capable of around 200HP and so a simple scaling would indicate that 30 times the 4lpm figure (or 120lpm) would be required to see the same 15% increase at full throttle. Of course we don't drive around at full throttle all the time so a safer figure to use would be the 20HP or so that an average-sized car requires to cruise at highway speeds.

20HP / 6.5HP = 3 times the horsepower so we'll need 3 times the fuel and three times the H2/O2 gas to see the same effect. That brings our H2/O2 requirement to 12.0 lpm.

Actually, at this stage we must also take into consideration that the engine in the paper was as diesel which uses significantly less fuel to create the same HP (due to the higher compression ratios and naturally more efficient cycle) -- that's why diesel vehicles get better MPGs than gasoline-powered ones. So we'll allow a very conservative additional 20% to account for the greater mass of gasoline required to produce the same power.

That lifts the H2/O2 gas requirement to 14.4 lpm.

Now we see that the addition of 14.4 lpm of H2/O2 should (according to the scientific reports) increase our engine's horsepower by 14.8%-15% (we already decided to use the latter figure).

We're assuming a 20HP requirement for cruise speed so once we add the 14.4 lpm of H2/O2 the engine will output an additional 20 x 0.15 = three horsepower.

So far so good.

Next we have to work out how much energy we'll be taking back in order to create those 14.4lpm of H2/O2.

If we use Faraday's First Law again to calculate that figure we discover that we need around 1,536 watts - but that's only if our electrolysis cell was 100% efficient, which it's not.

We've assumed an efficiency (based on real-world figures) of just 50% for the electrolysis process so we need to double that figure -- which gives us 3,072W of electrical energy required to generate sufficient H2/O2 to give us the maximum fuel-efficiency improvement at cruise speeds.

That 3,072W is 4.1 horsepower.

Uh-oh, it looks like we're spending 4.1 horsepower creating H2/O2 gas but only getting 3 horsepower back. That's a net *loss* of 1.1hp which mean's we'll actually burn *more* fuel than if we hadn't gone to all this trouble.

But wait... it gets worse...

That 4.1hp assumes that our alternator is 100% efficient in turning mechanical energy into electrical energy -- which it certainly is not.

An auto-style alternator is actually only around 60% efficient so the actual amount of horsepower we'll be sucking from the engine to power our cell is going to be around 6.8hp.

Now we find that the net energy return from these "H.H.O." systems is an even bigger. We're spending 6.8 horsepower to boost the engine's output by just 3 horsepower.

That missing 3.8 horsepower will have to come from burning *MORE* not less gasoline.

I'm sorry -- but those are the facts, there is the science.

I invite anyone to pick holes in my science or my math.

sumdude Guest
    AS i said before im not going to get into this crap again. Have fun arguing with yourself. Good night. Going to the rest of my life, my gf .

Hi All,

Here is a post that I did on another forum, you all may find helpful in some little way.

The "requirement" to be polite goes back to the very best tradition in science, where it used to be assumed that honest, intelligent, well-meaning experimenters could hold unique, and divergent opinions and interpretations regarding the same, observed phenomena. No one was assumed to be "wrong" or "bad" because they held a differing opinion. It created an environment for lively debate and in-depth investigation. The only requirements for this environment to flourish were intelligence and civility.

This is a PUBLIC FORUM. Anyone in the world can view it. It would be SOCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE to leave posts that disparage a person's character in such a forum. NO ONE has the right to turn this forum into a billboard for their rude and uncivil behavior.

Thank you all for your participation at this Forum and in this effort !

Regards,
    Fuzzy

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sumdude View Post
    AS i said before im not going to get into this crap again. Have fun arguing with yourself. Good night. Going to the rest of my life, my gf .
    There you have it! Just walk away when someone proves you wrong. By God, never admit to the lie hu?

If you're so damn smart, PROVE ME WRONG!

I'm getting sick and tired of you people calling me names, cursing, when I got banned for it. I have provided FACTS, and you just keep it up. If you can prove me wrong, do it! But enough of this scam is enough!

I have a degree in Automotive Technology from one of the most respected schools in the world. I've never said that makes me a better person than anyone else, but, it does prove I have more knowledge than ANYONE else on this site. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

scrode Guest
    so it comes down to what you use from the alternator? hahah i just use the UNUSED amps, not making more amps that my alternator puts out, your computations are ASSumining that you are just running the alternator to create hho. what a ---. In the real world the alternator puts out more amps than are used. so my 15 amps are really sucking the horsepower. what a ----. You need to quit drinking the koolaid. your math is cool but it doesn't apply to the real aspects of the technology being used

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyTomCat View Post
    Hi All,

Here is a post that I did on another forum, you all may find helpful in some little way.

The "requirement" to be polite goes back to the very best tradition in science, where it used to be assumed that honest, intelligent, well-meaning experimenters could hold unique, and divergent opinions and interpretations regarding the same, observed phenomena. No one was assumed to be "wrong" or "bad" because they held a differing opinion. It created an environment for lively debate and in-depth investigation. The only requirements for this environment to flourish were intelligence and civility.

This is a PUBLIC FORUM. Anyone in the world can view it. It would be SOCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE to leave posts that disparage a person's character in such a forum. NO ONE has the right to turn this forum into a billboard for their rude and uncivil behavior.

Thank you all for your participation at this Forum and in this effort !

Regards,
    Fuzzy

Well, then, why don't we take a look into some of the pms I've gotten, as well as post's. I've been called everything from a ********* to a homosexual. Yet, NOT ONE OF THESE MEMBERS DOING THIS ARE BANNED! Yet you banned me for a few swear words trying to make a point not directed at anyone?

Free Speech, it's not something a moderator can simply over-ride. If you are banning certain people for certain things, it must apply equally, not what ever makes the "group" happy.

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scrode View Post
    so it comes down to what you use from the alternator? hahah i just use the UNUSED amps, not making more amps that my alternator puts out, your computations are ASSumining that you are just running the alternator to create hho. what a ---. In the real world the alternator puts out more amps than are used. so my 15 amps are really sucking the horsepower. what a ----. You need to quit drinking the koolaid. your math is cool but it doesn't apply to the real aspects of the technology being used
    No proof hu? Just as I suspected. More opinion from someone with a complete lack of knowledge in automotive technology.

Where are these "extra" amps going? Into thin air? Explain this one to us, I'd love to hear it, as would a few others.

scrode Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    Well, then, why don't we take a look into some of the pms I've gotten, as well as post's. I've been called everything from a ********* to a homosexual. Yet, NOT ONE OF THESE MEMBERS DOING THIS ARE BANNED! Yet you banned me for a few swear words trying to make a point not directed at anyone?

Free Speech, it's not something a moderator can simply over-ride. If you are banning certain people for certain things, it must apply equally, not what ever makes the "group" happy.
    a moderator can do whatever he likes its not a democracy its a forum and he who owns forum rules.
    If you don't like well get the fu-k on
    peace

Scooterdog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scrode View Post
    a moderator can do whatever he likes its not a democracy its a forum and he who owns forum rules.
    If you don't like well get the fu-k on
    peace
    Oh really? The Federal Courts say differently. Wanna try to argue law with me too? I'll walk all over you kid.

scrode Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooterdog View Post
    No proof hu? Just as I suspected. More opinion from someone with a complete lack of knowledge in automotive technology.

Where are these "extra" amps going? Into thin air? Explain this one to us, I'd love to hear it, as would a few others.
    I use them to run my gen. hahahahahahahaha
    your a fool to try and argue with someone you can't and never will change.
    you see, some of us here have been using this technology and will be using this technology for some time having seen and proved that it works. so go to disney.com and maybe they will listen to you, GOOFY.

BTW. who is this us? you got a turd in your pocket?