Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have map AND maf...now what?

Dustin Guest

I have map AND maf...now what?

I own a 1997 Oldsmobile Bravada with a 4.3 liter V6. It has a
    MAP sensor and what appears to be a MAF sensor too. The Haynes manual I have dosen't say anything about this engine having both but Auto Zone does have a parts listing for both MAP and MAF sensors. I just got my HHO cell up and going and I built a MAP enhansor using a schematic from this forum. I can manipulate the signal from the MAP sensor and get the engine to start "pinging" or "spark knocking" so I know it is working but wonder if I also need to be "chatting" with the signal from the MAF sensor before it gets back to the ECM. I read the MAF is a demand sensor so it gets what it wants. Is this true for the MAP sensor also?

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    MAP sensor and what appears to be a MAF sensor too. The Haynes manual I have dosen't say anything about this engine having both but Auto Zone does have a parts listing for both MAP and MAF sensors. I just got my HHO cell up and going and I built a MAP enhansor using a schematic from this forum. I can manipulate the signal from the MAP sensor and get the engine to start "pinging" or "spark knocking" so I know it is working but wonder if I also need to be "chatting" with the signal from the MAF sensor before it gets back to the ECM. I read the MAF is a demand sensor so it gets what it wants. Is this true for the MAP sensor also?

Dustin
    If you built a map en. I would intall it on the map sensor,If you in fact do have one.

Dustin Guest
    Oh, I'm 110% sure it has a MAP sensor and about 95% sure it has a MAF sensor.....I think! Would I just set the MAF down a little and adjust the MAP a little and see what happens or will the MAP adjustment be sufficient?

Dustin

I would install an O2 efie before a map en.They work better.

Dustin Guest
    10-4.....thanks! Is there any certain EFIE that is available people seem to have more luck than others or are they pretty much the same?

10-4.....thanks! Is there any certain EFIE that is available people seem to have more luck than others or are they pretty much the same?
    You can shop around on e bay and others ,but take a chance on the quality and any tech support you may need on installing and adjusting.
    This guy has a great efie,stands behind what he sells and offers great tech support either by e mail or forum.Plus the deluxe model has handy ports for probes for installation and ajustment.

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/store/

Jaxom Guest
    That truck does have both MAP and MAF sensors. The MAF is the primary sensor for fuel calculations under steady cruising, while the MAP is given a little more weight during transients (throttle changes, deceleration, etc.) and at low RPM.

I'm not going to comment on which would be better to modify, as I don't believe in fooling around with sensor readings and "tricking" the PCM. It can easily do far more harm than good.

Keith's Garage Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
    That truck does have both MAP and MAF sensors. The MAF is the primary sensor for fuel calculations under steady cruising, while the MAP is given a little more weight during transients (throttle changes, deceleration, etc.) and at low RPM.

I'm not going to comment on which would be better to modify, as I don't believe in fooling around with sensor readings and "tricking" the PCM. It can easily do far more harm than good.
    I am just curious as to what you believe is the best way to have the computer lean out the motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith's Garage View Post
    I am just curious as to what you believe is the best way to have the computer lean out the motor?
    There is no real best way to mod sensors and Jaxom is right saying that more harm than good can result from it,there are though right and wrong ways to do it.
    I can tell you this that I've had both O2 and map en. along with several other mods on my truck for over a year now and havn't had any problems to date.I did research all of them for months before attemping any of them.
    I've been on more than a half dozen forums in the last year and a half and have seen only one mishap caused from overleaning,and the person posted he'd fried his plugs but didn't think he had any other damage.Personally I feel if there were a number of people that did significant damage to their motors using leaning devices we would see more posted somewhere.Think how many have been sold on just e bay alone.
    I noticed your ASE certification and with that you should be able to detect any signs of over leaning such as chugging,pinging and knocking,and know when to back off.It's the guy that has little automotive training trying to see how many mpg records he can break the first day with his newly installed O2 or map en. leaning the motor to death is the one that's going to have problems.
    It's my opinion that if you detect any distress from your motor or any changes at all except mpg gains I would back off and try again.
    I'm in no way trying to encourage you to proceed with your modifications just giving you infoformation of my experiences with them.You'll have to make your own decision on which way to go with it.

Dustin Guest
    Man, you guys are awsome. The more I've read, I do believe I will concentrate on the O2 sensors. Seems like it may be slower but yield more solid returns on fuel economy.

I'm really into building my own stuff. I get frustrated buying things like O2 enhancers, taking them apart, and seeing I could have bought the stuff at Radio Shack for a few dollars and put out a little effort to build it myself. I went to Radio Shack today with an idea of how to introduce a few millivolts to the O2 signal to the ECM. After talking with the owner he determined that I needed a certain trim pot I think it was. I came back to the garage and wired it as the schematic described on the back of the package. I applied 12 volts to it and adjusted it down to .200 volts output. Now, can I introduce that .200 volts which is what I'm just guessing as a starting point, I can adjust it with very high accuracy anywhere from 0 volts to battery voltage to the signal wire from the O2 sensor to the ECM. I'm thinking (hoping!) I can simply build a box that has 12 volts to it running through the pot adjuster and send the adjusted .200 volts to the 3 pre-cat O2 sensors......1 from the left bank, 1 from the right bank, and 1 just before the catalitic converter. There is one after the converter but I've read that just checks its work. Since I will be running one adjuster, all the sensors will be receiving the same skewed signal hopefully convincing the ECM that things are "normal" and to look elsewhere for something to do.
    I'm kinda concerned that the voltage I'm sending might backfeed into the O2 sensor but I don't think it will do anything but stop right there.

Am I on the right track or on the verge of costing myself alot of cussing and money?!