Thread: *Really* thick SS plates.

DigitalMocking Guest

*Really* thick SS plates.

Friend of a friend got me some 316L plates for my rig, I ordered 2 sets of plates, one to make a SP(smith/plumabob) model, and another for a dry cell. The SP are perfect, 18 gauge 316L cut like I asked, they'll fit just fine in the pelican 1150 case.

However... the plates for the dry cell are massively thick. Like almost 1/4" thick each. I have no idea what to do with them really, I hardly paid a thing for them, but I really don't want to make a dry cell that weighs 40 lbs

Any thoughts?

I'll take some pictures of them tomorrow at work.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMocking View Post
    Friend of a friend got me some 316L plates for my rig, I ordered 2 sets of plates, one to make a SP(smith/plumabob) model, and another for a dry cell. The SP are perfect, 18 gauge 316L cut like I asked, they'll fit just fine in the pelican 1150 case.

However... the plates for the dry cell are massively thick. Like almost 1/4" thick each. I have no idea what to do with them really, I hardly paid a thing for them, but I really don't want to make a dry cell that weighs 40 lbs

Any thoughts?

If it were me and I got them cheap as you say I'd build it and see how it worked,if I had spare time and it didn't cost much.And if it doesn't work you can always use it for an anchor for your boat lol.

sumdude Guest
    quarter inch thick. WOW. Those are plates they didnt get you sheets. I believe SS plates start at 1/4 inch and up and below that is considered sheets.

Any thoughts?

Just use them. The thicker the less heat the plates themselves will cause. Just like the bigger the wire the less heat you have when you run current through them. Consider yourself lucky.

HHOinKY Guest
    So what if the cell weighs alot? If it produces massive amounts and can keep heat down, where's the loss?

DigitalMocking Guest
    All right, you've all convinced me, gonna find a press to put holes in these things tonight and build my drycell out of it.

All right, you've all convinced me, gonna find a press to put holes in these things tonight and build my drycell out of it.

If you can not find a place to punch holes for you drilling is not really that bad. I drilled 80 14g 316l plates using a cobalt bit, lots of thread cutting oil and a drill press running at under 750 rpm. If you run it faster you will smoke bit after bit