Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: plate question?

Quote Originally Posted by sumdude View Post
    Ok thanks for all the info. I'll pick my plates up tomorrow. thanks alot again.

Also about how big do i make the diagonal cut on the plates at the edges?
    Big enough to avoid shorts with your power connectors.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Ok thanks for the input. However, was the picture i included earlier the best way of making the electrical connections?
    When I ordered my plates I had them cut a 1"x2" tab for my connections on 2 plates,I've seen where some people have a tab welded on also.Just make sure they're high enough above the end plates to make your el. connections.I just drilled a 1/4" hole and used ss bolts and washers.

sumdude Guest
    question:

I have a drill press along with a vise that i use to drill my plates. however the problem that i have is that after the drill bit goes through the plate it kind of bends the plate a little. Is there anyway to avoid this.

HALS-GUNSMITHING Guest
    question:

I have a drill press along with a vise that i use to drill my plates. however the problem that i have is that after the drill bit goes through the plate it kind of bends the plate a little. Is there anyway to avoid this.
    Try to use a C-clamp or vise grip to hold them together

sumdude Guest
    thanks but i already use a c clamp. what im saying is when the plate is drilled there is a bend in the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by HALS-GUNSMITHING View Post
    Try to use a C-clamp or vise grip to hold them together

HALS-GUNSMITHING Guest
    thanks but i already use a c clamp. what im saying is when the plate is drilled there is a bend in the plate.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. Where exactly is the bend?

question:

Slow the drill speed down to 650 or 700 rpm. Use lots of thread cutting oil and do not apply much pressure on the bit. If you have a good Cobalt bit and do not let the stainless overheat you should not get any bending or warping.

cemkarakurt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    Slow the drill speed down to 650 or 700 rpm. Use lots of thread cutting oil and do not apply much pressure on the bit. If you have a good Cobalt bit and do not let the stainless overheat you should not get any bending or warping.
    and if is bend get you self a hamer and but the plates in to srong surface give same nooks gently and dane. that what i dane and sanding.

Avoiding bent plates

Try using smaller drill bits. Start with 1/8" and go larger by 1/16 to 1/8 at a time. Slow speeds and oil. Back up the plates with 1/4" steel.