Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is BEST Shape? Cylinders or Rectangular or Discs

daveczrn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    The verticle mounted tube shape electrolyzers that I have been seeing all use retangular plates. This seems to result in a volume of water around the plates that is not being used. I'm sure that some of it will be converted to gas as the volume between the plates is converted and it moves into position between the plates.
    That volume of water will also keep the electrolyzer cooler.. i really don't see a problem with having extra electrolite around the plates... I think it's better to have more infact. it gives more room for the bubbles to sit in the eletrolite before they break the surface of the electrolite. this also gives more room for production because the electrolite is not sufficated with bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis13030 View Post
    In order to reduce the overall size of the electrolyzer, you may want to get rid of unused spaces and go with either a verticle water storage scheme or use a seperate reserve with a float valve inside the electrolyzer.
    i believe a storage tank for more electrolite is a good thing..

Quote Originally Posted by Ronjinsan View Post
    Guys its all about surface area and shifting bubbles! I dont think that you can beat the multi tubular design for production because of its surface area to space consumed ratio but unless you can get 5 tubes inside each other the amp draw/ heat factor is hard to get past. Only thing I havent tried is muti tube in a vacuum hmmmmm maybe I should give that a go!

how does the multi tubular design have an advantage? i don't think it has any advantages other than fitting inside a tube easier than a rectangle plate does... What if more people used rectangle boxes? wouldn't retangle plates work better in a retangle box than a tube inside a retangle box?

I believe that people just need to think about what would be a better design for the setup that they want to build.

HomeGrown Guest
    One of the aspects I like about tubular design is that the positive electrodes are all isolated from the rest of the electrolyte bath. It would not be too difficult to totally isolate the + electrode so there would be zero current leakage. However, that's yet to be seen on my cell. Another driving factor is material availability and machinery availability. I've got a bench lathe and mill, so I can easily work with tubes. Someone with access to a laser or waterjet machine would do well to work with plates.

I think that construction quality and robustness is primary. Whether it's tubes or plates, it needs to be constructed with quality materials and workmanship.

justaguy Guest
    I know a guy that has tried and compared about all types, washers, 2x6 plates , 3x3 double cell generators, wall switch covers and tubes. His best results are three generators hooked in series with 4 tubes 3", 2.5". 2", 1". The tubes are only 2" tall.
    Configured +-+- in a 4" x 12" pvc connected in the bottom. Each generator produces 2 LPM. He said the greatest improvement was using three of these hooked in series. Low amps and low heat. Its impossible to find these tubes but you can bend the ss plates around a pipe the correct size and soldier together with silver soldier or weld it .

He also conditions his SS before installing.