Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Problems

NFryan Guest

Heat Problems

Okay so im running a generator with outlet plates in a water filter housing.. Config -NNNNN+ i cannot run more than 1 tsp of lye per gallon of water or it boils over into my bubbler and intake... What are my options/ I was told to wrap the plates but im not sure how//.. Is there another efficient plate config i can try that will help me achieve lower temps and better hho production.. 1tsp lye per gallon .25LPM low temp .. 2 tsp Lye 1LPM and so much heat boiling occurs or the pvc starts to melt... Ive been battling this this for 2 weeks with no luck...

NFryan,
    Two things; first I would be adding in 1/4 TSP doses. I had to do this to sneak up on my cell's cold start amps.

Second, One more neutral plate would help control the heat.

Other than that, make sure your neutrals are not touching and shorting together. They must be truly neutral. Wraping the cell is susposed to improve efficiency by preventing current leakage around the plates. In theory this would help and I believe it does. A secondary benefit is it creates a convection flow in the electrolite that circulates the electrolite faster and helps cool the cell. It also promotes bubble removal and may give you a bump in production.

People have used large heat shrink (3' to 4" , try McMaster Carr), electricians sealing tape (a thick rubbery tape that is used for sealing out moisture), inclosing the edges of the plates and some of the top and bottom with Plexi covers, regular electrical tape (temporary only). I have used 1" wide rubber bands for temporary test runs too.

Good luck.

u can also try a inner tube for a car tire.

and for plate config atfab is right +nnnnnn-
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

rtckjc Guest

Sealed cell is the only way to go

First I agree the sealed cell is the only way to go. You will be amazed at the difference sealing the cell makes. Be careful to seal the sides also. I had to leave the bottom open to have enough liquid flow up through the cell. Please be aware that many vehicles vary in output voltage and this will dictate how many plate you will need. I have also found that I get a large difference in current flow when changing from the bench to the vehicle. I use a battery charger or a deep cycle battery on the bench. Both of these give similar results but when connected to the truck the current will nearly double.

ShowMeHHO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NFryan View Post
    Okay so im running a generator with outlet plates in a water filter housing.. Config -NNNNN+ i cannot run more than 1 tsp of lye per gallon of water or it boils over into my bubbler and intake... What are my options/ I was told to wrap the plates but im not sure how//.. Is there another efficient plate config i can try that will help me achieve lower temps and better hho production.. 1tsp lye per gallon .25LPM low temp .. 2 tsp Lye 1LPM and so much heat boiling occurs or the pvc starts to melt... Ive been battling this this for 2 weeks with no luck...
    What gap do you have between the plates ......

sumdude Guest
    usually gap is 1/16th

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeHHO View Post

NFryan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMeHHO View Post
    My gap now is 1 or 2/16ths.. I wrapped the sides in plastic as well. Im still getting alot of heat.. As well as a ton of heat soak from my engine bay.. Im gonna try adding another neutral plate and switch the wrap to rubber tape as suggested... Probably gonna take me a few days tho.. Ill keep ya posted thnx 4 the help

Quote Originally Posted by NFryan View Post
    I agree with everyone that sealing the edges of your plates will go very far in keeping heat down and increasinh HHO output. What has worked best for me is cutting high temp material the size of your cell's plate edges (I use CPVC Sheeting) . I cover the CPVC with Marine Goop and use zip ties to hold the whole thing together.

HHOinKY Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by H2OPWR View Post
    I agree with everyone that sealing the edges of your plates will go very far in keeping heat down and increasinh HHO output. What has worked best for me is cutting high temp material the size of your cell's plate edges (I use CPVC Sheeting) . I cover the CPVC with Marine Goop and use zip ties to hold the whole thing together.

Zip ties are the new duct-tape.

Why don't you guys leave behind all the problems associated with the plates innabath design that leak,overheat and often need to be rebuilt because of runway meltdowns and go with a simple true series cell design?All too often I see people suffering with openbath cells.When I first started out with hho almost 2 years ago I too went with an open bath cell.It about discouraged me altogether and almost quit because of all the problems I encountered.When I found the plans for the series cell I run now and have run for well over a year,that was the end of all problems.Yeah you'll spend more building one but spend less time building and maintaining it,and will give you years of troublefree service unlike its overheating and less efficient cousin.
    I'm not at all trying to criticize your hard work just trying to tell you there's an easier and much better way.