Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Series vs. Parallel Configuration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Series vs. Parallel Configuration

I have a question I was hoping someone could help out with on the difference between series and parallel plate configuration. I've read where series setups run cooler, and don't produce as much HHO as parallel, but what exactly is the difference? Assuming all plates are within the same generator, and receive current through two sections of SS allthread, would
    +NNNNN--NNNNN+ and +NNNNN- +NNNNN- both be considered series configs? If so, what would an example of a parallel configuration look like?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jm3000x View Post
    I have a question I was hoping someone could help out with on the difference between series and parallel plate configuration. I've read where series setups run cooler, and don't produce as much HHO as parallel, but what exactly is the difference? Assuming all plates are within the same generator, and receive current through two sections of SS allthread, would
    +NNNNN--NNNNN+ and +NNNNN- +NNNNN- both be considered series configs? If so, what would an example of a parallel configuration look like?
    Thanks!
    in series u are using 12V divided by the number of cells

in parallel u are giving each cell 12V

series 4 cells(C) CCCC/12V=3V per cell
    parallel 4 cells CCCC and still have 12V per cell
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Thanks for good info!

So multiple cells within the same generator split the supply voltage and are considered a series setup.

So multiple cells within the same generator split the supply voltage and are considered a series setup.
    yes, that is why most people put them in parallel

or series in a plexiglass multi cell setup, where each cell has two or three plates each.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

I've read that the most efficient design is around 1.4-2V per cell in a series design, but with input voltage of 13.8V and a plate configuration like +NNNNNN- using around 3% NaOH with 3x5" plates, I get very little production (like 300ml/min @ around 14A). The only way I've been able to get moderate output is running around 3.5V per cell - but this brings up heat problems. This is in a wet generator with the sides wrapped and the top and bottom open for gas to escape. Is there something I'm neglecting, or does it usually take a couple sets of cells in parallel to get any volume?

I've read that the most efficient design is around 1.4-2V per cell in a series design, but with input voltage of 13.8V and a plate configuration like +NNNNNN- using around 3% NaOH with 3x5" plates, I get very little production (like 300ml/min @ around 14A). The only way I've been able to get moderate output is running around 3.5V per cell - but this brings up heat problems. This is in a wet generator with the sides wrapped and the top and bottom open for gas to escape. Is there something I'm neglecting, or does it usually take a couple sets of cells in parallel to get any volume?
    actually i found that +NNNNN- works really great and plate voltage is around 2.25v each.

I have found eventhough they say it starts around 1.4V - IT DOSEN'T, just like u found out.

and for more production, u need more amps, i run from 18A for a 4 plate setup to 35A with a 7 plate setup, still going to try different plate gaps and a 5 and 6 plate setup.

but it does look like ur headed in the right direction - experimenting is good - that is how things are figured out.

keep me posted, and ill do the same.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Question series and parallel??

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    in series u are using 12V divided by the number of cells

in parallel u are giving each cell 12V

series 4 cells(C) CCCC/12V=3V per cell
    parallel 4 cells CCCC and still have 12V per cell
    Sorry but i still don't understand the difference...

a series cell is like this? -NNNNN+NNNNN- together?
    and a parallel is like this? (-NNNNN+) (-NNNNN+) separate?

so which voltage would have each example per gap?
    and which one is more efficient??

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

My .02

My last Generator and the design I want to use on a larger scale was -NNNN+NNNN-. For the test, mainly due to available metal, my plates were 3.5 in by 3.5 in. With 1.5x1.5 in. squared reactive plate area. Running it in the Jeep my mileage dropped 3-4 mpg. What I want to do is run 2 such 11 plate stacks where both generators are wired in parallel to each other so they produce double the output of a single gen/stack and are hooked to 1 reservoir. Would the amperage double as well?

My last Generator and the design I want to use on a larger scale was -NNNN+NNNN-. For the test, mainly due to available metal, my plates were 3.5 in by 3.5 in. With 1.5x1.5 in. squared reactive plate area. Running it in the Jeep my mileage dropped 3-4 mpg. What I want to do is run 2 such 11 plate stacks where both generators are wired in parallel to each other so they produce double the output of a single gen/stack and are hooked to 1 reservoir. Would the amperage double as well?
    Is the 1.5 x 1.5 active area correct. That is very small and would limit you to much.

Follow these three rules and you will be fine.

1. Not MORE than .5 amps/inĀ² of active surface area on ONE plate.

2. Not MORE than 2.3 volts/cell (gap).

3. Not more than 500 ml/liter of engine size. Some engines require slightly more.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .