Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Series vs. Parallel Configuration

Series vs. Parallel Configuration

I have a question I was hoping someone could help out with on the difference between series and parallel plate configuration. I've read where series setups run cooler, and don't produce as much HHO as parallel, but what exactly is the difference? Assuming all plates are within the same generator, and receive current through two sections of SS allthread, would
    +NNNNN--NNNNN+ and +NNNNN- +NNNNN- both be considered series configs? If so, what would an example of a parallel configuration look like?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jm3000x View Post
    I have a question I was hoping someone could help out with on the difference between series and parallel plate configuration. I've read where series setups run cooler, and don't produce as much HHO as parallel, but what exactly is the difference? Assuming all plates are within the same generator, and receive current through two sections of SS allthread, would
    +NNNNN--NNNNN+ and +NNNNN- +NNNNN- both be considered series configs? If so, what would an example of a parallel configuration look like?
    Thanks!
    in series u are using 12V divided by the number of cells

in parallel u are giving each cell 12V

series 4 cells(C) CCCC/12V=3V per cell
    parallel 4 cells CCCC and still have 12V per cell
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

Thanks for good info!

So multiple cells within the same generator split the supply voltage and are considered a series setup.

So multiple cells within the same generator split the supply voltage and are considered a series setup.
    yes, that is why most people put them in parallel

or series in a plexiglass multi cell setup, where each cell has two or three plates each.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

I've read that the most efficient design is around 1.4-2V per cell in a series design, but with input voltage of 13.8V and a plate configuration like +NNNNNN- using around 3% NaOH with 3x5" plates, I get very little production (like 300ml/min @ around 14A). The only way I've been able to get moderate output is running around 3.5V per cell - but this brings up heat problems. This is in a wet generator with the sides wrapped and the top and bottom open for gas to escape. Is there something I'm neglecting, or does it usually take a couple sets of cells in parallel to get any volume?

I've read that the most efficient design is around 1.4-2V per cell in a series design, but with input voltage of 13.8V and a plate configuration like +NNNNNN- using around 3% NaOH with 3x5" plates, I get very little production (like 300ml/min @ around 14A). The only way I've been able to get moderate output is running around 3.5V per cell - but this brings up heat problems. This is in a wet generator with the sides wrapped and the top and bottom open for gas to escape. Is there something I'm neglecting, or does it usually take a couple sets of cells in parallel to get any volume?
    actually i found that +NNNNN- works really great and plate voltage is around 2.25v each.

I have found eventhough they say it starts around 1.4V - IT DOSEN'T, just like u found out.

and for more production, u need more amps, i run from 18A for a 4 plate setup to 35A with a 7 plate setup, still going to try different plate gaps and a 5 and 6 plate setup.

but it does look like ur headed in the right direction - experimenting is good - that is how things are figured out.

keep me posted, and ill do the same.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

I should also note:
    1 - stay away from tapes to wrap a cell or straps - they will give u a orange or brown tinge - adheasive gets eaten.
    2 - when experimenting u will use more KOH than people say u will use, already went through a pound of KOH and 2 pounds of sodium hy.
    3 - I use shrink wrap for wraping cells, i first tape the cells together, than put some shrink wrap on to hold together, and than take tape back off and put another layer of shrink wrap - holds nice and tight.

- if i can think of anymore i will post later - (i want to star to take notes to pass on to others like in the hhowiki some else on the forum is puting together).

4 - dont put a flame to the bottle u just used to test LPM - it goes BOOM!! - been there done that. LOL
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

I have found the following to be true in my experiments:

1) Best production is at approx 2.3v per cell. My dry cells use +NNNNN- at 14.1v.

2) The larger the gap, the more volts per cell or higher electrolyte concentration will be needed. I advise 1/16" or smaller.

3) Dry cell designs, while they present their own design challenges, are far superior to open baths. In return, you get controlled heat (and henceforth amperage), good MMW efficiency and a much smaller generator.

Good luck in your experiments, sharing is the key!

Feel free to make use of my wiki, that's what I built it for.

Russ.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post
    I have found the following to be true in my experiments:

1) Best production is at approx 2.3v per cell. My dry cells use +NNNNN- at 14.1v.

2) The larger the gap, the more volts per cell or higher electrolyte concentration will be needed. I advise 1/16" or smaller.

3) Dry cell designs, while they present their own design challenges, are far superior to open baths. In return, you get controlled heat (and henceforth amperage), good MMW efficiency and a much smaller generator.

Good luck in your experiments, sharing is the key!

Feel free to make use of my wiki, that's what I built it for.

Russ.
    now i know im on the right track. and i am using 1/6" spacing (just checked).

and dry cells are on my to-do list, but was still experimenting with wet cells.
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

M Bell Guest

Smile plates and voltage

I have to agree with JM300x. I have found that you get much better production with a 3.2 to 3.9 volts per cell repete. I have tried numerous cell configurations. With the voltage less than 3 volts the amperage stays to low and the output stays low. I have a dual dry cell setup that is set up +nn-nn+ Paralleled with +nn-nn+. I am running 25.5 amps at 12.5 volts. I am getting 1.5 lpm. I use distilled water with naoh. Very little naoh. The plates in my cell are 4in x 5in.