Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Series vs. Parallel Configuration

Quote Originally Posted by M Bell View Post
    I have to agree with JM300x. I have found that you get much better production with a 3.2 to 3.9 volts per cell repete. I have tried numerous cell configurations. With the voltage less than 3 volts the amperage stays to low and the output stays low. I have a dual dry cell setup that is set up +nn-nn+ Paralleled with +nn-nn+. I am running 25.5 amps at 12.5 volts. I am getting 1.5 lpm. I use distilled water with naoh. Very little naoh. The plates in my cell are 4in x 5in.

OK if ur amps stay low - than add more NaOH, amps will come up.

i dont condone the use of NaOH (bad mojo)
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

ShowMeHHO Guest

25.5 amps at 12.5 volts getting 1.5 lpm

Quote Originally Posted by M Bell View Post
    I have to agree with JM300x. I have found that you get much better production with a 3.2 to 3.9 volts per cell repete. I have tried numerous cell configurations. With the voltage less than 3 volts the amperage stays to low and the output stays low. I have a dual dry cell setup that is set up +nn-nn+ Paralleled with +nn-nn+. I am running 25.5 amps at 12.5 volts. I am getting 1.5 lpm. I use distilled water with naoh. Very little naoh. The plates in my cell are 4in x 5in.
    What is the temp of your electrolizer @ 25.5 amps at 12.5 volts getting 1.5 lpm .
    In trying diferant configurations with 7 plates I got good results with
    -nn+nn- less Naoh and instant results .I am still trying to get the +nnnnn_ to work but it starts out reall low on amps with hardly any production untill it warms up then it wants to run away .Now this is in a bay setup so I think with the 5 neautrals in the middle I am loosing more off the edges into the bay than with the other configuration ...

HALS-GUNSMITHING Guest
    I have a feeling that the conductivity of the plates have a lot to do with the optimum voltage per cell. S.S. is a poor conductor when compared to copper and aluminum which should not be used for HHO. I think the S.S. is acting like a resistor, requiring more volts per cell (2 - 3 volts). Just my own theory.

Quote Originally Posted by HALS-GUNSMITHING View Post
    I have a feeling that the conductivity of the plates have a lot to do with the optimum voltage per cell. S.S. is a poor conductor when compared to copper and aluminum which should not be used for HHO. I think the S.S. is acting like a resistor, requiring more volts per cell (2 - 3 volts). Just my own theory.
    well i hope when they talk about volts, they arnt talking about platinum - nobody can afford that, even though its the best material.
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

alpha-dog Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3000x View Post
    I have a question I was hoping someone could help out with on the difference between series and parallel plate configuration. I've read where series setups run cooler, and don't produce as much HHO as parallel, but what exactly is the difference? Assuming all plates are within the same generator, and receive current through two sections of SS allthread, would
    +NNNNN--NNNNN+ and +NNNNN- +NNNNN- both be considered series configs? If so, what would an example of a parallel configuration look like?
    Thanks!
    a series cell is +NNNNN-
    a parallel cell is +-+-
    a series/parallel is +NNNNN-NNNNN+
    Russ

Experimented with multiple setups and recorded the results at startup - after I compile the data I will post the results later this weekend. I found some interesting configurations produce more than expected...

Question series and parallel??

Quote Originally Posted by mytoyotasucks View Post
    in series u are using 12V divided by the number of cells

in parallel u are giving each cell 12V

series 4 cells(C) CCCC/12V=3V per cell
    parallel 4 cells CCCC and still have 12V per cell
    Sorry but i still don't understand the difference...

a series cell is like this? -NNNNN+NNNNN- together?
    and a parallel is like this? (-NNNNN+) (-NNNNN+) separate?

so which voltage would have each example per gap?
    and which one is more efficient??

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .

My .02

My last Generator and the design I want to use on a larger scale was -NNNN+NNNN-. For the test, mainly due to available metal, my plates were 3.5 in by 3.5 in. With 1.5x1.5 in. squared reactive plate area. Running it in the Jeep my mileage dropped 3-4 mpg. What I want to do is run 2 such 11 plate stacks where both generators are wired in parallel to each other so they produce double the output of a single gen/stack and are hooked to 1 reservoir. Would the amperage double as well?

My last Generator and the design I want to use on a larger scale was -NNNN+NNNN-. For the test, mainly due to available metal, my plates were 3.5 in by 3.5 in. With 1.5x1.5 in. squared reactive plate area. Running it in the Jeep my mileage dropped 3-4 mpg. What I want to do is run 2 such 11 plate stacks where both generators are wired in parallel to each other so they produce double the output of a single gen/stack and are hooked to 1 reservoir. Would the amperage double as well?
    Is the 1.5 x 1.5 active area correct. That is very small and would limit you to much.

Follow these three rules and you will be fine.

1. Not MORE than .5 amps/inĀ² of active surface area on ONE plate.

2. Not MORE than 2.3 volts/cell (gap).

3. Not more than 500 ml/liter of engine size. Some engines require slightly more.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."

ONE Liter per minute per 10 amps which just isn't possible Ha Ha .