Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too much HHO?

NoMoGas Guest

Too much HHO?

I just measured my output of my cell that I installed on my 97 Civic. It pushed 750 ml in 15 seconds, 3 Lpm. This is at about 25 amps. I can cut it back if I need to, but didn't want to unless I needed to. I know I don't need that much for my 1.6 liter engine, but where is the point that too much is going in and will hurt mileage? I am getting no gains right now. I am working with adjusting my EFIE, but wanted to make sure the output is ok.

Two things:

1) At 3 LPM on a 1.6 you are definitely in the region where HHO has moved on from being an enhancing additive to being a second fuel. This is definitely why you're seeing no gains. The ECU is over riching in its confusion. O2 EFIE is definitely your next step on the road to MPG improvement.

2) You're making 3 LPM at 25 amps!!! Please post your design along with other pertinent information such as plate layout, electrolyte type and concentration, volts and electrolyte temp at this production level. Its possible that a large amount is steam.
    2006 Dodge Ram 4.7L - 16.5 mpg stock
    My thread Painless Experiment in HHO

Quote Originally Posted by Painless View Post

2) You're making 3 LPM at 25 amps!!! Please post your design along with other pertinent information such as plate layout, electrolyte type and concentration, volts and electrolyte temp at this production level. Its possible that a large amount is steam.
    ya that would be awsome to know
    Come to the Darkside - We have Cookies
    And lots of KOH (16 LBS)

Not currently running HHO.
    I dont run HHO during winter.

NoMoGas Guest
    It is actually one I bought off ebay. It was not cheap. Here is the item # on ebay 140275878236. I was going to build one like this but was having trouble getting material and getting cut, drilled, etc so decided to just buy one. I will probably put this cell on my boat eventually. It has a 5.7 L with 4 bbl carb that really sucks gas. I guess I need to cut back on the e-lyte to get down quite a bit. I have heard you need about 1 lpm on 4 cyl, and 2 lpm on 8 cyl, so I will try to shoot for that. Thanks for the reply.

I think you should look a little closer at what your generator is producing. Try letting the hose run into a glass jar for a while and see if any condensation collects.

I would start at the 1 LPM mark for your 1.6, but make sure you are using a bubbler. If you're producing steam then traces of KOH or NaOH will be in your HHO which will eat any aluminum in your engine.

NoMoGas Guest
    It is a dry cell, so I have a bubbler/resevoir. I also have an additional dryer. I will check to see if I am making steam, but I think the dryer would show alot of condensation if this were the case. I am a little concerned about the temp, how do you check internal temp on a dry cell?

I use a lazer thermometer and aim it at the top of the cell. Either way, take the reading from the top of the plates pack as heat rises.

NoMoGas Guest
    I don't have a way to check the cell temp, but it is not hot to the touch on top of the plates. I also emptied the resevoir and re-filled with only distilled water. The only NaOH that should have been remaining would have been in the cell and hoses going to and from the cell. After refilling, I would have though the amps would go way down. It only dropped from 25 to about 20 amps. I need to re-check the output, I have not had time to do that. I did notice a little water in the dryer. I assume this is from the cell being too hot, but it never feels hot. I guess I will empty the resevoir, cell, and all hoses and start over shooting for closer to 1 LPM. Any guesses why the amps didn't drop much after removing most of the electrolyte? My dry cell is +NNNNNN-NNNNNN+NNNNNN- for 3 cells. Would I be better off disconnecting the last - and making it a 2 cell to lower my LPM or use all and keep lowering the e-lyte?

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoGas View Post
    My dry cell is +NNNNNN-NNNNNN+NNNNNN- for 3 cells. Would I be better off disconnecting the last - and making it a 2 cell to lower my LPM or use all and keep lowering the e-lyte?
    That cell on ebay looks pretty solid, but if it's a 16 plate cell then your config would be:

+nnnn-nnnn+nnnn-

Otherwize, the 21 plate cell would be:

+nnnn-nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+

There's no way +NNNNNN-NNNNNN+NNNNNN- would make 3 lpm @ ~25amps. Your voltage between plates @ 14v would be ~2.0v and that's not enough to be that extremely efficient.

NoMoGas Guest
    Yeah, I accidently put too many neutrals. It is the 16 plate design. I am still having trouble getting gains. I am working with the EFIE, but I don't know if I still have too much HHO (probably not), need to keep working with the EFIE, or maybe need a new O2 sensor. Does anyone know how to tell if you need a new sensor. It is not tripping codes, could it still be bad? I have 144K miles, but only bought few months ago so not sure if it is original.