Thread: +- set up question

Atm0spher Guest

+- set up question

i have a drycell with just a + and a - so i have like 13.5 v going through it at all times. if i make another cell is there a way to hook them up to cut the voltage in half? would i just hook the + of the first one the the - of the second one? or both the + together and so on. Or..... last minuet question here, would it be better to make 3 and wire them all up and get about 4.5v per cell? thanks for the help

HiTechRedNeck73 Guest
    to lower the voltage of each cell, it would be in series... -+-+ just as you described the first time... the + of the first gets connected to the - of the next one and so on...

but please note that most on here use neutrals to reduce heat and increase production... a neutral is a plate that has no direct connection to power... -n+ like this for example... when you do this, the neutral creates extra cells and reduces voltage in each cell... so -n is a cell and n+ is a cell...

so another example: (start with 12v) -n would be 6v, and n+ would be 6v...

double that: -n+-n+ would be 3v per cell...

now it's my understanding that is not a very efficient cell... the volts of each cell should be around 1.4v then the electrolyzer controls amps... volts, amps, and electrode surface area is what dictates production...

now, all I've been doing is reading and researching... so if I'm wrong, someone chime in and correct me... I lack hands on, and want to understand it...

Quote Originally Posted by Atm0spher View Post
    i have a drycell with just a + and a - so i have like 13.5 v going through it at all times. if i make another cell is there a way to hook them up to cut the voltage in half? would i just hook the + of the first one the the - of the second one? or both the + together and so on. Or..... last minuet question here, would it be better to make 3 and wire them all up and get about 4.5v per cell? thanks for the help
    How many plates does your cell have and what spacing did did you use?

Atm0spher Guest
    its a tube drycell 1 foot loong im kinda stuck with just a positive and negative setup. my spacing is way to far right now its a little over 1/8. that will be closer to a 1/16 on my finished product. so i was trying to get the voltage lower someway other than neutrals. right now my production sucks.by sucks i mean sucks. its .75 lpm at 13.4v and heres the kicker 55a. ill tell you what though it makes a great water heater. i think it pumps more water through it than it makes hydrogen. thanks for all the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Atm0spher View Post
    its a tube drycell 1 foot loong im kinda stuck with just a positive and negative setup. my spacing is way to far right now its a little over 1/8. that will be closer to a 1/16 on my finished product. so i was trying to get the voltage lower someway other than neutrals. right now my production sucks.by sucks i mean sucks. its .75 lpm at 13.4v and heres the kicker 55a. ill tell you what though it makes a great water heater. i think it pumps more water through it than it makes hydrogen. thanks for all the help guys.
    Sorry to hear that I've had to scrap several designs and start over.Sounds like it back to the drawing board.You might concider going dry cell to eliminate the problems.If you do let me tell you my experiece with dry cells.
    When I decided how I was going to build mine my thoughts were bigger the better.I'm now finding out that's not always efficient.I've read on another forum(more than once) where running 2 stock tero cells in series is more efficient than 1 twice the size,both with amps and production.
    Just thought I'd throw that out in case you decide to redesign and rebuild.